• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting situation in Germany today wrt their election.

Looks like weeks/months of horsetrading with the Greens as the kingmakers.

In a lot of ways, I prefer FPTP. But full PR does have its advantages.

Mr Jinx

And so Andy MacDonald resigns from Labour's front bench saying, amongst many other things, "our movement is more divided than ever".

And he's not wrong. Starmer's Labour is a mess. Not entirely his fault and bit of an impossible task bring that all that rabble together, but it's just one more thing Kier didn't need right now.

Oldsmobile-88

Pleased to report from the Highlands & Moray where i
am for a few days,no fuel shortages & i’ve not seen a queue at any of the 30 plus petrol stations I’ve passed on my travels in the past couple of days.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a silly question, why is it up to me to justify the validity of Shapps’s claims? It’s like me asking you why do you believe McKenzie when he says he wasn’t responsible. We’re both taking each of the protagonists claims at face value, what’s the difference?
Hardly. McKenzie is saying he didn't leak the information, Shapps is claiming that he did but has come up with nothing whatsoever to substantiate his claim. Mindful that journos don't reveal their sources, if indeed there was a leak, how on earth could Shapps know who was responsible? If the Road Haulage Association were to undertake some kind of investigation then it may be conceivable that they could deduce where the alleged leak had come from. What I can't comprehend is how Shapps can say with such certainty that McKenzie has leaked news from a meeting he wasn't even at. I had hoped you might be able to offer a suggestion as to how this might have occurred but, plainly, you're every bit as stumped as I am!
I see you’re now ignoring your earlier accusation where your said I was guilty of omitting the fact that Mr McKenzie was refuting the Transport minister’s comments about the leak. In quoting my post to reply to me, you literally deleted the bit where I expressly said McKenzie denies the claims against him by Shapps. 🤷‍♂️
You said: 'Rumour has it, the top man of the RHA is a former BBC man, who is/was an avowed remainer. Mr McKenzie denies the accusation of course.'

Given this was a paragraph in its entirety and you referred to Mr McKenzie denying 'the accusation' [singular], I took this to refer to the accusation he is / was 'an avowed remainer.' Do, please, point me to the bit I 'literally deleted' where you expressly said 'McKenzie denies the claims against him by Shapps' because I'm damned if I can see it. Alternatively, you might want to apologise for talking veritable ******** [again]. Thanks.

Mr Jinx

am for a few days,no fuel shortages & i’ve not seen a queue at any of the 30 plus petrol stations I’ve passed on my travels in the past couple of days.
Thanks for the info bro...I'm on my way....oh wait!

elginCity

A really lovely part of the world, I believe.

Oldsmobile-88

A really lovely part of the world, I believe.
Indeed it is...I was in Elgin today Elgy on the way to
Banff.

tavyred

Hardly. McKenzie is saying he didn't leak the information, Shapps is claiming that he did but has come up with nothing whatsoever to substantiate his claim. Mindful that journos don't reveal their sources, if indeed there was a leak, how on earth could Shapps know who was responsible? If the Road Haulage Association were to undertake some kind of investigation then it may be conceivable that they could deduce where the alleged leak had come from. What I can't comprehend is how Shapps can say with such certainty that McKenzie has leaked news from a meeting he wasn't even at. I had hoped you might be able to offer a suggestion as to how this might have occurred but, plainly, you're every bit as stumped as I am!

You said: 'Rumour has it, the top man of the RHA is a former BBC man, who is/was an avowed remainer. Mr McKenzie denies the accusation of course.'

Given this was a paragraph in its entirety and you referred to Mr McKenzie denying 'the accusation' [singular], I took this to refer to the accusation he is / was 'an avowed remainer.' Do, please, point me to the bit I 'literally deleted' where you expressly said 'McKenzie denies the claims against him by Shapps' because I'm damned if I can see it. Alternatively, you might want to apologise for talking veritable ******** [again]. Thanks.
Yep.
I can see now how you could’ve got the wrong end of the stick. Apologies.
I still don’t see why I personally have to justify Shapps accusation. I quoted Shapps accusation and for balance stated that McKenzie denied the story.
What’s the problem?
As an aside, can I suggest you adopt a less abrasive tone Egg?

tavyred

And so Andy MacDonald resigns from Labour's front bench saying, amongst many other things, "our movement is more divided than ever".

And he's not wrong. Starmer's Labour is a mess. Not entirely his fault and bit of an impossible task bring that all that rabble together, but it's just one more thing Kier didn't need right now.
Lots of hard left disquiet that SKS made a series of promises to get their votes in the leadership election which he is now slowly distancing himself from. The nationalising of the energy companies being one.
He needs a belter of a speech on Wednesday.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I still don’t see why I personally have to justify Shapps accusation.
Of course, you don't have to.

But, if, for instance, Keir Starmer were to claim that Boris Johnson was a Russian agent then I imagine you'd be keen to know what he was basing his assertion on.

In this instance, Shapps has made an entirely unsubstantiated claim. Given your willingness to take him at his word, I thought you might, at the very least, be able to offer a suggestion as to how he could have come to know who was responsible for the alleged leak.