• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Under appreciated City Players

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another good game yesterday I felt from Pierce Sweeney. He has, and is continuing to be a good servant to our club and divides opinion as we know. However, anyone who has racked up around 200 appearances for our club deserves merit. Without this becoming a thread about Sweens it got me thinking about others who have donned the red and white stripes and were equally under appreciated. Two great servants in recent times I felt never really got the appreciation they deserved were firstly Craig Woodman with over 250 appearances and so reliable.
However, in my opinion the single most under appreciated player was a certain Ryan Harley. Four spells totalling almost 250 games and 40 goals many of which were sublime and often in the big games (remembering Leeds, Argyle and of course Huddersfield).

So as we are sitting at home with no fuel in our cars what better way than to do some naval gazing :) Who else was badly under appreciated in their time with us?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I always enjoyed watching Noble and Oakley in midfield. Both utterly sublime and both played with an ease and calmness that made it all look effortless.

Alistair20000

The nearest naval gazing is in Plymouth so I am out. :)

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another good game yesterday I felt from Pierce Sweeney. He has, and is continuing to be a good servant to our club and divides opinion as we know. However, anyone who has racked up around 200 appearances for our club deserves merit. Without this becoming a thread about Sweens it got me thinking about others who have donned the red and white stripes and were equally under appreciated. Two great servants in recent times I felt never really got the appreciation they deserved were firstly Craig Woodman with over 250 appearances and so reliable.
However, in my opinion the single most under appreciated player was a certain Ryan Harley. Four spells totalling almost 250 games and 40 goals many of which were sublime and often in the big games (remembering Leeds, Argyle and of course Huddersfield).

So as we are sitting at home with no fuel in our cars what better way than to do some naval gazing :) Who else was badly under appreciated in their time with us?
I'm not too sure Sweeney divides opinion, more that he's frustratingly inconsistent. Yes, he was very good yesterday but he was less good in the previous 2 home games. Again Harley was brilliant in his first spell and most City fans would put him up there with Law and Grimes as the best creative midfielder we've seen at City over the last 20 years. He only showed that in flashes in his second spell which is perhaps why he is not fully appreciated by younger fans.

grecIAN Harris

Ultimately Matt Gill wasn't but for the first few months of his City career he was very under appreciated by City fans. He came to us from Notts County with a far rom glowing reference from the County faithful which, as always, was taken as read by many on here. He got on with his game whilst being unspectacular, tidying things up in the midfield, getting a foot in where needed and getting the ball rolling again. Then he picked up a knock which meant he missed an odd game or two and it wasn't until then that people started to notice he wasn't there and what he was about and what he gave to our midfield engine room.

jimmy

For me, I felt that Alan Gow's quality was sometimes under appreciated. He could do things well above League one/two...

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Paul Batty, 111 appearances over five years, signed by Colin Appleton, always a terrier of a player looking to open up the game and was part of the championship winning squad

Alistair20000

Difficult to judge which players have been under appreciated as different people hold different views and opinions.

I thought Tom Nichols with a none too shabby 32 goals in 97 appearances was never given full credit.

cambmike

I thought Tom Nichols with a none too shabby 32 goals in 97 appearances was never given full credit.
[/QUOTE]

Tom is one of many strikers who had a better strike rate at City than at later clubs

For me, I felt that Alan Gow's quality was sometimes under appreciated. He could do things well above League one/two...
Couldn't agree more!