• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
You must be one of those Brexit purists who thought our leaving meant zero immigration from the EU.
That's me! I'm a sucker for stuff written on a bus. Can't believe the lorry driver fairies haven't filled the vacancies.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
The days of opening a fresh box of cheap to hire Eastern European’s are over. U.K. firms need to look after and invest in their workforce. I’m not sure they get it yet.
This aged well. I’m not sure who needs to “get it” though. The truth of ideology over reality.

fred binneys head

To be fair to the Tavster, it'll take time to get the new labour market into shape, it was never going to be an overnight thing.

tavyred

That's me! I'm a sucker for stuff written on a bus. Can't believe the lorry driver fairies haven't filled the vacancies.
No fairies required.
Just businesses competent enough to staff themselves properly.
We clearly have a situation where some businesses used to a near endless supply of foreign labour are struggling to deal with the new reality, a reality no doubt compounded by Covid unfortunately.
Rather than invest in their staff so as to perform their core function, they’re mired in the old reality of poor pay and conditions.
Interesting to note that so many of the so called progressives on here are wilfully failing to see that as regards the pay of ordinary folk this is a good news story, perhaps they’re not as progressive as they would have us believe.

tavyred

This aged well. I’m not sure who needs to “get it” though. The truth of ideology over reality.
Another one who doesn’t know the difference between the issuing of work Visa’s and FOM. 🙄

Mr Jinx

Another one who doesn’t know the difference between the issuing of work Visa’s and FOM. 🙄
Yes, one does wonder how Canada and Australia have managed to struggle through all these years without FOM?

elginCity

Many of those European truckers detained in holding pens for days last Christmas without food or loos won’t be chomping at the bit to get a UK ‘visa’ done.

tavyred

Yes, one does wonder how Canada and Australia have managed to struggle through all these years without FOM?
As with business, some people will require a period of adjustment in this post Brexit world DB.

DB9

As with business, some people will require a period of adjustment in this post Brexit world DB.
Unless the current problems have been over exaggerated, How long will this period of adjustment take?

tavyred

Many of those European truckers detained in holding pens for days last Christmas without food or loos won’t be chomping at the bit to get a UK ‘visa’ done.
Indeed.
I hope they collectively feck the U.K. visas right off.