• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Because like you, The others "erred on the side of caution" Perhaps if you and others didn't there wouldn't be a risk of the pumps running dry?
Yep.
I’m trying to see the difference between “erring on the side of caution” and panic buying.
No, there isn’t one. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

Yep.
I’m trying to see the difference between “erring on the side of caution” and panic buying.
No, there isn’t one. 🤷‍♂️
Look at the papers today, Bloody stupid headlines then listen to the industry and realise this is a tiny % and nothing much to worry about.

DB9

Regarding tanker driver shortages, Once any new driver takes the initial HGV and passes, Isn't there an additional test for transporting fuel and other hazardous materials thus getting tanker drivers will take longer?

Grecian2K

Regarding tanker driver shortages, Once any new driver takes the initial HGV and passes, Isn't there an additional test for transporting fuel and other hazardous materials thus getting tanker drivers will take longer?
Indeed.
As well as a Driver's Qualification Card (CPC), issued by the DVLA after formal training in five one-day modules - a requirement for ALL vehicles over 3.5 Tonnes - drivers of vehicles containing hazardous goods also must possess ADR Certification which also requires formal training as well as passing an exam.

Of course, there is still scope for the government to waive either or both of the above requirements but do we REALLY want to see any unskilled Tom, Dick or Terrorist whizzing round the country behind the wheel of a 44 Tonne bomb?

tonykellowfan

It's funny how people are comparing this to the 1970s and the winter of discontent, as someone who was there at the time, there is no comparison.

Grecian2K

We've not even reached winter yet in order to be discontented.
We're still in the autumn of vain hopefulness.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

It's funny how people are comparing this to the 1970s and the winter of discontent, as someone who was there at the time, there is no comparison.
In fairness it's only September.

Grecian2K

In anticipation of all of the energy companies going bust even before the arrival of first frosts I've been stripping the shelves of rechargable batteries as well as stockpiling baked beans and pickled onions in order to ensure ongoing supplies of inflammable gas for domestic heating purposes.

It's not "panic buying". I'm merely "erring on the side of caution".

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've just switched from one of the big 6 for the first time in my life, might have been a mistake.

Mr Jinx

Because like you, The others "erred on the side of caution" Perhaps if you and others didn't there wouldn't be a risk of the pumps running dry?
Well yes. I wouldn't do it normally, but we have a appointment on Tuesday that we just can't afford to miss come what may. And I'm sure there's plenty out there like us.

With these things, what you see is everyone running around on full tanks just in case. The forecourts run dry and there's a week or two of kerfuffle before the whole things ebbs away.

As I understand it, there is plenty of fuel just a lack of drivers to get it to the pumps. I expect Boris to bring in army drivers to help and he'll declare a blustering bombastic victory for the people by our brave barnstorming troops. Not too difficult to write the script is it.