• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Championship 21/22

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
It is. He essentially "sold" it to himself for £80m then leased it back to the football club.
It's quite a normal ploy by owners, Any stadium or land its built on or surrounded by is always the bit that's worth something and former owners like to keep a hold of.

fred binneys head

Another issue for Derby is that Pride Park isn't owned by the football club.
Nor the training ground.

sign of the chimes

It is. He essentially "sold" it to himself for £80m then leased it back to the football club.
I think I read there's a 'charge' over the stadium/training ground by a US company called MSD to the tune of about £20m. It makes any purchase more complex as, if I understand this correctly, any purchaser has to satisfy that charge if they want to complete a purchase that doesn't effectively hand those rights over to the lender. This, of course, is on top of the football debts which have to be paid 100% and the new rules regarding hmrc debt that fbh alerted earlier. MSD seem to have 'invested' in lots of clubs who want to ease cashflow (e.g. Sunderland) - yet doesn't appear interested in owning them. Given that it tends to get involved with clubs with relatively big stature and infrastructure it doesn't see, like they're in this for the football (or fun).

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's quite a normal ploy by owners, Any stadium or land its built on or surrounded by is always the bit that's worth something and former owners like to keep a hold of.

DB9

Good luck and best wishes to David Brooks of AFC Bournemouth & Wales after being diagnosed with Cancer, I'm sure everyone on here wishes him a speedy recovery. (y) (y)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58903956

DB9

The game at West Brom v Bristol City has been held up 3 times today, 2 fans, 1 from each side had both collapsed with possible cardiac arrests, Both have been taken to hospital and a player was stretchered off injured, Best wishes to all three.

TOP_CITY_FAN

Another 9 point deduction for Derby, putting them on -3, cementing their place at the bottom of the Championship.

haka

Another incentive for City to get promoted: we've never played Derby in the league. Came close when they were relegated to Div 3 in 1984, only problem was we got relegated to Div 4 the same season so missed out on the meeting.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Another 9 point deduction for Derby, putting them on -3, cementing their place at the bottom of the Championship.

How long can they afford to pay what I suspect to be Wayne Rooney's not inconsiderable wages?

Bridgy 81

People on here maybe interested to know that we’ve just passed the 40th anniversary of the Ashton Gate 8.
As a consequence of Bristol City being on the verge of financial oblivion eight players were asked to rip up their contracts for a one-off monetary settlement to save the club.
On 3rd February, 1982, Peter Aitken, Chris Garland, Jimmy Mann, Julian Marshall, Geoff Merrick, David Rodgers, Gerry Sweeney and Trevor Tainton all agreed.
Just a few years earlier Bristol City were playing in the First Division (Premier League) and I recall as a young teenager being taken by my eldest brother to watch a number of top flight matches there, including the magnificent Laurie Cunningham for WBA and Brian Clough’s Forest team the season they were promoted and won the league at their first attempt.
Bristol City were soon plummeting back through the divisions though.
Over the years the club has stabilized and made their way back into the Championship, but the Ashton Gate 8 are still held in great affection and there are a numbers of events planned to pay tribute to them.
By 1981 I’d firmly switched my allegiance to Exeter City. It’s fortunate that we’ve never had any such problems!