• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sutton United Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ray has been excellent, however when was he the subject of derision on here 😂
Have a look at the reaction on here when we signed him. It wasn't all a bed of roses.

Grecian Max

Have a look at the reaction on here when we signed him. It wasn't all a bed of roses.
I can remember a few people being underwhelmed but outright mockery deffo passed me by.

Has been a great addition. In fact pretty much all the signings look like they’ve got something about them. MT gets good players through the door, I’m just worried a little for the season tactically as that’s where he has underperformed in previous years with good squads. Good signs so far and he is of course learning still.

Memphis09

Well I never gave up on us, as long as we were still on it we could turn it around. We owe so much to Dawson for keeping us in that game.
I couldn't understand why we played 3 centre halves, Sweeny was poor, surely a 4;4 2 formation was doable and with a proper left winger, Caprice is still the stopping point for our attacks. Jay did well and when we found some space we looked good but still not overly impressed by the rawness of Nombe. He scored {one) but needs lots of work. It might seem harsh being critical of a team that has picked up a very useful 3 points against a good team but say it as you see it!
Funny how we see games differently agree Nombe still needs a lot of work but he will score lots for us with the correct service
But I thought Jay was poor today especially first half along with Kite
Taylor is going to be an asset when he settles in
Sweeney and Hartridge did not have there best games but it is a clean sheet
Brown was also quiet until we changed the system
The important thing is the result another day we would of lost the game UTC

grecIAN Harris

I can remember a few people being underwhelmed but outright mockery deffo passed me by.

Has been a great addition. In fact pretty much all the signings look like they’ve got something about them. MT gets good players through the door, I’m just worried a little for the season tactically as that’s where he has underperformed in previous years with good squads. Good signs so far and he is of course learning still.
I think he has options in key areas this season particularly up front which will give Taylor the opportunity to mix his tactics up a bit this season which he didn't have so much last season.

Memphis09

Great result against a very united, strong and energetic opponent. To be perfectly honest, we were under the cosh for the first hour with sporadic moments going forward. Jay or Kite should have scored from our one clear cut opportunity in the first half but aside from that they dominated including one off the bar & line from Donovan and there was a great save from Dawson too.

The moment the game changed was when Kyle Taylor came on. We had been overrun in midfield and Taylor did what Kite had been unable to do which was to break up play and get us moving up the field. We were a different team after that. 4-2-3-1 was the right move from Matt.

Dawson - Excellent. We're lucky to have such a good shot-stopper and calming presence in goal.
Sweeney - Not great. He has been great this year but following a poor early pass he seemed to lose his composure and just looked angry for most of the game.
Ray - Another great signing. Minimum fuss and great league 2 defending.
Hartridge - Not as good as recently but grew into it as the game went on.
Caprice - I think the LWB experiment continues to work. Look, it's not his natural position but he has pace, puts a shift in and is taking on whoever is in front of him on a much more regular basis. Well done Jake!
Key - Sutton had clearly done their HWK on Josh. Blocking him off 1st half and nullifying the threat. Was much more threatening after we had scored.
Kite - Not great. Just couldn't get into the game and his distribution wasn't the best today.
Dieng - Boy does he cover the ground! Again, not his best game but puts in the hard yards.
Jay - Struggled today against a big and physical side. Again, looked different after we had scored but not his best game and I don't think he'll want to see his missed opportunity from the 1st half again.
Brown - Another who Sutton had done their HWK on. And another who thrived after Taylor came on an after we scored.
Nombe - Genuinely no idea if he scored 0,1 or 2 goals!? I look forward to Quest! Not the finished article and very raw but he works really hard, is a physical presence and has a yard of pace. Great that he's off the mark (I think!?)

Subs -
Taylor - Excellent. Brought composure and the flow of the game changed. So encouraging to see from someone who has only been with us for a few weeks. It will be interesting to see how Matt accommodates players with Archie coming back
Edwards-Owura - A livewire! Not sure he knows exactly what is going to happen next but it's exciting!
Atangana - Solid. Helped us see out the game and contributed to a great end to the game.

Well done City! Great 3 points without being at our best.
Good report fully agree

CityTillIDie

Stop booing the kneel, good amount of our team is black. How do you think they feel when home fans boo that! I understand it’s past it’s sell by date but allow it for now please! Definitely a minority mind, probably no one on here.

budegrecian

Shoes off if you hate argyle, cracking atmosphere! Up the C20
They've been great all season, but today they were fantastic.
Nothing better than winning a game that, at HT, you think you may well lose.

gilbertshoot

Stop booing the kneel, good amount of our team is black. How do you think they feel when home fans boo that! I understand it’s past it’s sell by date but allow it for now please! Definitely a minority mind, probably no one on here.
Totally agree. When has it been bad to want a more level society? I know some on the right want to paint it as Marxist and anti capitalist but that is crap. It's simply people caring about a fair shot at life.

dontpassback

I saw a lad in an Argyle shirt at Killerton once. (n)
I saw a man wearing an argyle shirt outside my in-laws house,but then again they do live in Plymouth!

gilbertshoot

I saw a man wearing an argyle shirt outside my in-laws house,but then again they do live in Plymouth!
Once saw an Argyle fan wearing shoes. Amazing what they can do these days