• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes it is due to be diese
I saw it a few minutes later on the sea wall at Dawlish.
I noticed earlier a West Coast Diesel locomotive(Class 47,I think)run down light.
I wonder if that is the traction coming back ?
Yes it is due to be diesel hauled on the return journey

Colesman Ballz

I saw it a few minutes later on the sea wall at Dawlish.
I noticed earlier a West Coast Diesel locomotive(Class 47,I think)run down light.
I wonder if that is the traction coming back ?
It is a trip by the Railway Touring Company running from Slough to Par and return. Leander is hauling the train from Taunton to Plymouth and return. Slough to Taunton, and Plymouth to Par legs are diesel hauled. Leander has been temporarily stabled at Bishops Lydeard on the West Somerset Railway for the trip, before returning to its base at Carnforth.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
45690 Jubilee Class 4-6-0 “Leander”
Another locomotive bought from Dai Woodham's scrapyard at Barry. A remarkable story. Several Jubilees used to be based at Brizzol, including 45690 I think.

Oldsmobile-88

Not sure if this has been shared on this thread before.
In case it has not.1898 a train travelling from Barnstaple Junction through to Barnstaple Town Station & beyond.

Edit : Ah that’s a shame..It won’t let me post a direct link to fb.

A remarkable bit of good quality film.Worth a look via google.

Colesman Ballz

For any "Gricers" out there who fancy a bit of "Maybach magic", preserved Class 52 Diesel Hydraulic, Western Champion returns to the mainline with a trip from Gloucester to Kingswear and return on Saturday 25th Sept, so if you are not planning a trip to Hartlepool an alternative option !

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
For any "Gricers" out there who fancy a bit of "Maybach magic", preserved Class 52 Diesel Hydraulic, Western Champion returns to the mainline with a trip from Gloucester to Kingswear and return on Saturday 25th Sept, so if you are not planning a trip to Hartlepool an alternative option !
I always thought the Westerns had a more elegant look than the Warships.

Just out of interest, was the term "gricers" current in BR steam days, or is it a more recent word? I can't say I like it, and certainly wouldn't have referred to myself as such when I was a young trainspotting snipperwhapper!

Colesman Ballz

I always thought the Westerns had a more elegant look than the Warships.

Just out of interest, was the term "gricers" current in BR steam days, or is it a more recent word? I can't say I like it, and certainly wouldn't have referred to myself as such when I was a young trainspotting snipperwhapper!
I have always regarded it as applying to diesel enthusiasts, as opposed to the aficionados of the steam locomotive !

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have always regarded it as applying to diesel enthusiasts, as opposed to the aficionados of the steam locomotive !
That's all right. then! :)

Grecian2K

I'm with Greyhound on this. "Enthusiasts" is a far less pejorative term.
"Gricers" seems like a conflation of "Gripe" and "Grouse" (the latter in the sense of "to complain angrily")
Hence a "gricer" sounds like someone more likely to be moaning on TWoWS after every defeat.

Oldsmobile-88

The first completed section of the Railway Sea Wall at Dawlish has now had lighting installed.

Pic : Annette Miles.

1A54E196-C1EE-47F5-9F5D-0650E1B9DBAE.jpeg