• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Claiming Stevenage as a "stop" is a bit of a stretch...once the "regular" timetable starts just one train a day, and that in the southbound direction only. :LOL:
(Mind you, who would really want to "alight" at Satanage anyway?)
I thought it was in posh Hertfordshire*

*You need to say this in a posh BBC (Auntie version) voice.

Spoonz Red E

Stevenage - Herts (as in hurts)
Everyplace else - Herts (as in ❤s )

Grecian2K

Stevenage - Herts (as in hurts)
Everyplace else - Herts (as in ❤s )
As opposed to Luton where everybody "Beds"...well the "ladies" of that street behind the away end certainly were during our last visit...even during the match.
Top notch half time entertainment though.

Oldsmobile-88

Not South West related as such, but those of you who like to travel may like to know that there is a new no frills train operator running trains from London to Edinburgh (stops at Stevenage, Newcastle, Morpeth and Edinburgh). The service starts towards the end of October, and when I checked the rail fares it was £13.10 for a single with a railcard 😯 Journey time of 4h30m.

I remember BR having a promotion in 1981 to 1982 of £5 return from Exeter to London(either route) the equivalent of just over £17 today.
Travelled a few times for a mooch around the smoke with friends.Got the Midnight train back & slept across the comfy seats in the compartments in the corridor coaches.

Used that promotion to see a couple of Clash gigs at The Lyceum in 1981..Train return £5.Ticket for the gig £3.50 .Those were the days 😁

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I remember BR having a promotion in 1981 to 1982 of £5 return from Exeter to London(either route) the equivalent of just over £17 today.
Travelled a few times for a mooch around the smoke with friends.Got the Midnight train back & slept across the comfy seats in the compartments in the corridor coaches.

Used that promotion to see a couple of Clash gigs at The Lyceum in 1981..Train return £5.Ticket for the gig £3.50 .Those were the days 😁
I've performed at the Lyceum! :)

You could travel around the Network South East area for a fiver I remember. With mates we used to travel to FA Cup first round games in the area.

Oldsmobile-88

I've performed at the Lyceum! :)

You could travel around the Network South East area for a fiver I remember. With mates we used to travel to FA Cup first round games in the area.
Pray tell....

Iirc the Network SE area stretched to Honiton Railway Station for promotional purposes.
Also in those BR days it was possible to swap a return ticket at the ticket office in Waterloo or Paddington for a ticket to use on either main line back to Exeter.
I had to do that a couple of times when it was more convenient to travel back from Waterloo whereas I had a return from ESD to Paddington.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think it was originally to Exeter until they realised it was too popular! We used it to go to Exeter for the Aston Villa cup game.

Alistair20000

EE7C3126-0907-49FA-A614-3EBA2DF910CD.jpeg

45690 Jubilee Class 4-6-0 “Leander” in superb condition and travelling fast heads up a Royal Duchy steam special. Picture taken just South of Dawlish Warren at 12:34 today.

Oldsmobile-88

View attachment 7018

45690 Jubilee Class 4-6-0 “Leander” in superb condition and travelling fast heads up a Royal Duchy steam special. Picture taken just South of Dawlish Warren at 12:34 today.
I saw it a few minutes later on the sea wall at Dawlish.
I noticed earlier a West Coast Diesel locomotive(Class 47,I think)run down light.
I wonder if that is the traction coming back ?

Alistair20000