• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cameron Dawson {signs on loan for Exeter!}

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, you can. You can also recall a loanee to send out on loan elsewhere. The only stipulation for either occurrence is that the player is only allowed to play competitive games for two clubs in one season. So in Cameron's case, it is a possibility.
As it was with Jokull.
Fortunately for us his third loan was back to his first club ( thankfully for us!)

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just had a little look into this. So 'full season' loans can be recalled as long as this was agreed by all parties at the time of the loan, but only during a transfer window. So as you correctly say, he can be recalled and once recalled they can do whatever they want with him re new loan or sale. However, I see that if a player is recalled, he cannot be returned to the original loan club, which may mean its more of a risk recalling him as they would need to be sure of selling him or finding a new transfer, if they want him to be getting game time.
I think its unlikely that a keeper who can't get into a L1 side would generate enough interest from a championship side to want him based on his performance in L2, and I wouldn't have thought they'd want to loan him to a rival L1 side. So unless they have an injury to one of their main keepers, I would have thought the continuity of playing at one side for the whole season may well be seen as enough of a benefit that they won't activate their recall clause if this was included.
Like you say, with regards to Cameron seeing out the season with us, you can only see him being recalled for one of two things. Wednesday want him for the first team squad due to injury/form of their current keeper's. Or they get a transfer offer they find acceptable from someone whether from a Championship club or not. Let's not forget there are a few clubs around beneath the Championship that would have the means to possibly interest Wednesday if they want to sell. I'm not saying that is likely, but it is possible.

The complicating factor about Dawson's transfer value is that he is on a mahoosive 4.5 year Championship contract, signed in Jan 2020 when Dawson was in the middle of a 24 consecutive run in the Wednesday team in the Championship; Wednesday were doing very well (in mid January 2020 they had won 7 out of the previous 11 games). His wages must be (in our terms) huge and I hope we are paying only some of them!

He is now third choice out of five professional keepers at what is now a League One club. I suspect their priority will be to reduce their exposure to the next three years wages rather than to get a big (or any?) fee for him.
Your comment that he‘s now third choice out of 5 is not quite that simple.

no’s 4 & 5 are both kids with not a game for anyone between them

Current no.1 is Bailey Peacock Farrell on loan from Premiership Burnley who in recent years have been collecting England keepers for fun.

Assuming Burnley want him back next season then we are left with Cameron Dawson and Joe Wildsmith who have both played a similar amount of games for us.

General opinion is that Dawson is the more highly thought of of the two, hence sending him out on loan for game time and a confidence boost ready for us next year

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Current no.1 is Bailey Peacock Farrell on loan from Premiership Burnley who in recent years have been collecting England keepers for fun.

Assuming Burnley want him back next season then we are left with Cameron Dawson and Joe Wildsmith who have both played a similar amount of games for us.

General opinion is that Dawson is the more highly thought of of the two, hence sending him out on loan for game time and a confidence boost ready for us next year
As well as having one of the best names in football he also appears to be a pretty good keeper.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just had a little look into this. So 'full season' loans can be recalled as long as this was agreed by all parties at the time of the loan, but only during a transfer window. So as you correctly say, he can be recalled and once recalled they can do whatever they want with him re new loan or sale. However, I see that if a player is recalled, he cannot be returned to the original loan club, which may mean its more of a risk recalling him as they would need to be sure of selling him or finding a new transfer, if they want him to be getting game time.
I think its unlikely that a keeper who can't get into a L1 side would generate enough interest from a championship side to want him based on his performance in L2, and I wouldn't have thought they'd want to loan him to a rival L1 side. So unless they have an injury to one of their main keepers, I would have thought the continuity of playing at one side for the whole season may well be seen as enough of a benefit that they won't activate their recall clause if this was included.
It does logical that Dawson will be with us all season but unfortunately football clubs are not always logical. Just look at Newport loaning Amond to a potential promotion rival or Brentford recalling Ogbene to sit on their bench just as he was starting to be ready to play regular first team football for us. However, as Coleman Ballz, points out we do have a positive prior relationship with Darren Moore which should encourage Wednesday to keep Dawson with us, unless Moore is sacked and a new manager decides to recall Dawson.

The other side of the equation which no-one has mentioned is that we may decide Harry Lee is ready for the first team and choose to send Dawson back ourselves.

Red Bill

As it was with Jokull.
Fortunately for us his third loan was back to his first club ( thankfully for us!)
It was slightly different with Jokull though as his loan was an emergency goalkeeper loan first time with us and his two game spell with Morcambe and there is a different rule governing this.

Boyo

That's useful context, thanks.

I think the greatest risk is Burnley recalling Farrell from Wednesday which would then force Wednesday to recall Dawson. The other possibility is that if either Farrell or Wildsmith get injured then Dawson would likely be recalled in the window.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cam Daws chit chat pre Scunny

Pobbop

It does logical that Dawson will be with us all season but unfortunately football clubs are not always logical. Just look at Newport loaning Amond to a potential promotion rival or Brentford recalling Ogbene to sit on their bench just as he was starting to be ready to play regular first team football for us. However, as Coleman Ballz, points out we do have a positive prior relationship with Darren Moore which should encourage Wednesday to keep Dawson with us, unless Moore is sacked and a new manager decides to recall Dawson.

The other side of the equation which no-one has mentioned is that we may decide Harry Lee is ready for the first team and choose to send Dawson back ourselves.
I doubt we'd send him back, but Lee is our second 'keeper, Dawson may get injured or suspended, Lee is here to play if that happens, hopefully he is gaining valuable experience training with Dawson every day, and has played some high-quality opponents in the u-23 and JPT. The long-term aim is clearly for him to be starting next season, so if Dawson goes back it would just put that progression forward a few months.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
“I was there for half a season and didn’t play but was just there for a first look at men’s football and that environment. While I did a spell I didn’t play for them and I am definitely on the red and white side of things now.

“Having never played for them, you don’t build up the affinity to a club you don’t represent. I gave my all but never went onto the pitch for them and I didn’t feel like an Argyle player. I was only young and learnt a lot from it but I never felt like I contributed to them.”

I love this from our new favourite keeper.