• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cameron Dawson {signs on loan for Exeter!}

gilbertshoot

Indeed.
And, from his point of view at his age, what would be a better career move. Moving to a club where he is already earning a favourable reputation (even in Arizona!!! :eek:), albeit on somewhat reduced remuneration and even if as a later "springboard" than spending his next three years at his parent club putting the kit out and rubbing down the bench splinters for No 1 or 2.

Football is (and always has been) a mercenary business but I would like to hope that, as long as he settles here (and, so far, the signs are good) and, of course, if the Owls want to get him off the payroll, an adequate - but not crippling - wage offer plus a fair release clause might serve both parties.

It could (rose-tinted fingers firmly crossed) be a win-win-win situation. Just pray that (after that first, inevitable, "fumble") he doesn't go onto Exeweb for "advice" from the resident glovesmanship coach. That WOULD be the end of a beautiful love affair.
A move to FC Arizona awaits!

jimmy

Indeed.
And, from his point of view at his age, what would be a better career move. Moving to a club where he is already earning a favourable reputation (even in Arizona!!! :eek:), albeit on somewhat reduced remuneration and even if as a later "springboard" than spending his next three years at his parent club putting the kit out and rubbing down the bench splinters for No 1 or 2.

Football is (and always has been) a mercenary business but I would like to hope that, as long as he settles here (and, so far, the signs are good) and, of course, if the Owls want to get him off the payroll, an adequate - but not crippling - wage offer plus a fair release clause might serve both parties.

It could (rose-tinted fingers firmly crossed) be a win-win-win situation. Just pray that (after that first, inevitable, "fumble") he doesn't go onto Exeweb for "advice" from the resident glovesmanship coach. That WOULD be the end of a beautiful love affair.
Only speculating of course but if he's on even the average Championship salary he will be paid four times our highest earner.

I think enjoy him this season (quality 'keeper) as I can't see anyone giving up that salary for the next three years.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm a bit confused by all this talk of potentially signing Dawson as I thought the whole point of signing a loan keeper in the first place was not to block the pathway for Harry Lee who will hopefully be ready for the first team when Dawson moves on.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The complicating factor about Dawson's transfer value is that he is on a mahoosive 4.5 year Championship contract, signed in Jan 2020 when Dawson was in the middle of a 24 consecutive run in the Wednesday team in the Championship; Wednesday were doing very well (in mid January 2020 they had won 7 out of the previous 11 games). His wages must be (in our terms) huge and I hope we are paying only some of them!

He is now third choice out of five professional keepers at what is now a League One club. I suspect their priority will be to reduce their exposure to the next three years wages rather than to get a big (or any?) fee for him.
And you wonder why Wednesday now find themselves in League One having suffered financial difficulties.

Red Bill

So what are the loan rules now? I thought they changed the rules a couple of years ago to give more stability to the loanee club by making all loans full season (if a summer arrangement) so players couldn't be recalled, so I was surprised to SW saying they'd want to put a January recall clause we the move was still being discussed. Surely you can't recall a player just to sell him, can you!?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
We may not grab the attention of Devon Live but we have Yorkshire Live https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/thank-you-sheffield-wednesday-exeter-21488261

Boyo

These figures are always to be taken with a rather large pinch of salt, but this suggests that Dawson's Wednesday contract is £9,400 per week.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good to know that they read Exeweb too!!:LOL:

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
So what are the loan rules now? I thought they changed the rules a couple of years ago to give more stability to the loanee club by making all loans full season (if a summer arrangement) so players couldn't be recalled, so I was surprised to SW saying they'd want to put a January recall clause we the move was still being discussed. Surely you can't recall a player just to sell him, can you!?
Yes, you can. You can also recall a loanee to send out on loan elsewhere. The only stipulation for either occurrence is that the player is only allowed to play competitive games for two clubs in one season. So in Cameron's case, it is a possibility.

Red Bill

Yes, you can. You can also recall a loanee to send out on loan elsewhere. The only stipulation for either occurrence is that the player is only allowed to play competitive games for two clubs in one season. So in Cameron's case, it is a possibility.
Just had a little look into this. So 'full season' loans can be recalled as long as this was agreed by all parties at the time of the loan, but only during a transfer window. So as you correctly say, he can be recalled and once recalled they can do whatever they want with him re new loan or sale. However, I see that if a player is recalled, he cannot be returned to the original loan club, which may mean its more of a risk recalling him as they would need to be sure of selling him or finding a new transfer, if they want him to be getting game time.
I think its unlikely that a keeper who can't get into a L1 side would generate enough interest from a championship side to want him based on his performance in L2, and I wouldn't have thought they'd want to loan him to a rival L1 side. So unless they have an injury to one of their main keepers, I would have thought the continuity of playing at one side for the whole season may well be seen as enough of a benefit that they won't activate their recall clause if this was included.