• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
No I can't. I see no justification for raising tax in a way that will disproportionately impact young and poorer working people.
Likewise, I can’t see the justification for doubling the impact of the tax hike for average earners from £200 per year to over £400.
Hey-ho.
We ain’t going to agree on this one Hermie. 🤷‍♂️

angelic upstart

Likewise, I can’t see the justification for doubling the impact of the tax hike for average earners from £200 per year to over £400.
Hey-ho.
We ain’t going to agree on this one Hermie. 🤷‍♂️
You wouldn't need to double it as the percentage added to income tax can be lower because millions more people pay it.

tavyred

You wouldn't need to double it as the percentage added to income tax can be lower because millions more people pay it.
To raise the required amount via income tax it requires a 1p rise.
43% of U.K. adults don’t pay income tax BTW.

tavyred

Oops!......a 2p rise I mean.

angelic upstart

To raise the required amount via income tax it requires a 1p rise.
43% of U.K. adults don’t pay income tax BTW.
We have roughly 13 million on state pension. 4 million on PIP/DLA. Plenty of traditional families with one income, most of my friends are in that situation. I'm surprised 57% do pay tax.

tavyred

We have roughly 13 million on state pension. 4 million on PIP/DLA. Plenty of traditional families with one income, most of my friends are in that situation. I'm surprised 57% do pay tax.
I think a fair old whack of those drawing a state pension will still be paying income tax when you factor in their occupational pensions as well AU.

DB9

Reports in the Sunday Telegraph and Express Tory MP's are worried and are "At War" over the "Idiotic" idea to raise NI for Social Care and MP's in the new "Red Wall" seats are concerned that people up there will see the same old "Hit the poorest" Tories again. This idea for Social Care has really got to be thought through well and not rushed.

tavyred

I love how these proposals are being criticised for targeting the ‘young’ when in fact the hit is on everyone below state pension age.

angelic upstart

I love how these proposals are being criticised for targeting the ‘young’ when in fact the hit is on everyone below state pension age.
All about percentages Tavs.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, can't see how anyone on minimum wage who can't afford to buy a house would be upset bankrolling a 66 year old earning a 6 figure salary with no mortgage.