• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Afghanistan

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
There are things that are obvious with the benefit of hindsight after the event and in this case there are decisions made at the time factoring in the best available intelligence.
Col. Tim Collins had it right the other day when he commented on the negativity surrounding the Afghanistan situation in the UK.
He distilled the problem down to two things, a catastrophic failure in leadership by the US militarily and politically and a MSM in the U.K. desperate to blame the U.K. government for it in whole or in part.
I don't think the UK MSM did though. Apart from the Guardian of course who, as is their wont, blamed it all on Boris.

With regards to Biden, I'm the first to be knocking him as you know, but I'm not sure how he could've done things too differently. The Sept 11 date thing was a bit ham fisted, but all this would've happened in May anyway. Some of the things he did were very Trumpian, and I'm largely OK with those. Some weren't though, like the checking of the watch...and it's the little things like that, that to me at least, just confirms he's not up to the job in hand. Obama, weren't half wrong about him.

DB9

I'm impressed, you second guessed the entire intelligence community of the US and indeed its allies.
Thanks for the sarky comment, Much appreciated, Ask why the Politicians never took notice of those on the ground, Also as history has shown up, A Government propped up by a Super power does not last if that Super power pulls the plug, Examples, Vietnam, Afghanistan (When the USSR pulled out) Virtually all of Eastern Europe, Countries in South and Central America, The list goes on.

Rosencrantz

From a UK point of view now, the backstabbing between the MoD and the FO is the popcorn viewing and has been for a while it seems over Afghanistan.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
From a UK point of view now, the backstabbing between the MoD and the FO is the popcorn viewing and has been for a while it seems over Afghanistan.
Don't forget Raab also passing blame for unread emails on to the Home Office.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

huxwar

And this is the narrative being used, Let's move on now, My only problem with this is that it's not finished as in all didn't get out, I think the committee had every right to scrutinies Raab and yes party politics does come into it, As with all these committees, whoever they're questioning, Questions are asked in a polite, respectful manner, Unlike in the real world and at the end of it Raab is the FS and is deputy PM, They are in power and have to be held to account.
Shouldn’t they get back Blair’s labour lot to have to be held account? They were the ones who put is into that situation

DB9

Shouldn’t they get back Blair’s labour lot to have to be held account? They were the ones who put is into that situation
No, At the time of 9/11 Afghanistan was a haven for Terror Groups, Although Bin Laden was found and killed in Pakistan, The Taliban facilitated him and other groups and that had to be stopped, TBH we were never told the US and the allies wanted not only to get rid of the Taliban but prop up a Government to their liking and wanted a bit of "The West" in Asia, It soon became clear we can't impose the West's will and those in Afghanistan were ruthless, weak and corrupt hence why we are here today. Iraq though, A different story regarding Blair.

DB9

The US have admitted that the drone strike done in response to the Kabul Airport attack killed 10 innocent people, Including 7 children and no terrorists, They say it was a "Tragic Mistake" The whole US armoury and all its hi-tech stuff and they still mess it up, What a great piece of propaganda for The Taliban and recruiting tool for ISIS!!!

Rosencrantz

The US have admitted that the drone strike done in response to the Kabul Airport attack killed 10 innocent people, Including 7 children and no terrorists, They say it was a "Tragic Mistake" The whole US armoury and all its hi-tech stuff and they still mess it up, What a great piece of propaganda for The Taliban and recruiting tool for ISIS!!!
The hi-tech stuff is great, but only when the intelligence is great as well. You probably have to look more toward the CIA and military intelligence for the failure.

DB9

The hi-tech stuff is great, but only when the intelligence is great as well. You probably have to look more toward the CIA and military intelligence for the failure.
Yep, That's why I said "And they still mess it up" It's a tragic incident which is all too common with Uncle Sam.