• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I believe in a progressive tax system were everyone pays if they are likely to benefit, which is why at the time I was against the Osborne tactic of lifting the lower paid from income tax altogether. By all means tax them a minimal amount, but it’s important (for me) we’re all tax payers.
Given what you’ve written so far on this proposed tax, how would you raise the cash and who would you target?
But you've said you don't want older people paying.

Statistically, they are more likely to need social care. If they don't receive enough from their pension, they won't pay. That seems fair to me.

To me it's about percentages, those on less than 50k a year, on PAYE and under pensionable age will pay a higher percentage of their salary. The rest will pay less, or not at all. I don't see how you can construe that as a fair progressive tax

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe in a progressive tax system were everyone pays if they are likely to benefit, which is why at the time I was against the Osborne tactic of lifting the lower paid from income tax altogether. By all means tax them a minimal amount, but it’s important (for me) we’re all tax payers.
Given what you’ve written so far on this proposed tax, how would you raise the cash and who would you target?
Raise income tax, not NI. Paid at a higher threshold, and more importantly paid on dividends, interest, trusts, rental income etc. so the wealthy pay as well as the ordinary working person.

tavyred

But you've said you don't want older people paying.

Statistically, they are more likely to need social care. If they don't receive enough from their pension, they won't pay. That seems fair to me.

To me it's about percentages, those on less than 50k a year, on PAYE and under pensionable age will pay a higher percentage of their salary. The rest will pay less, or not at all. I don't see how you can construe that as a fair progressive tax
I’m saying that the people that currently pay NI should pay for social care as per the Government’s proposals for a 1% or 1.25% increase. Sounds eminently reasonable to me.
I don’t get why people are happy to finance every other citizen with their medical needs but when you get old, they have to pay for their care unduly through the sale of their house. Incidentally even with this policy it only means the amount of money it costs to look after someone is being capped at £60K. Imagine saying to a house owning working age cancer sufferer, you need to spaff up £20K before we’ll start looking after you.

manc grecian

I’m saying that the people that currently pay NI should pay for social care as per the Government’s proposals for a 1% or 1.25% increase. Sounds eminently reasonable to me.
I don’t get why people are happy to finance every other citizen with their medical needs but when you get old, they have to pay for their care unduly through the sale of their house. Incidentally even with this policy it only means the amount of money it costs to look after someone is being capped at £60K. Imagine saying to a house owning working age cancer sufferer, you need to spaff up £20K before we’ll start looking after you.
Why should a generation of people who are having massive struggles affording to rent let alone buy a house have their disposable incomes hit by a tax rise when there are fairer ways of doing so. They aren't going to have the luxury of selling a house.

angelic upstart

I'm merely saying I want fairness it how the tax rise is brought about. In my humble, NI isn't the way.

Social care in this country has long been a disgrace.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reassuring to learn that Krankie isn't anti-English, after all.

tavyred

I'm merely saying I want fairness it how the tax rise is brought about. In my humble, NI isn't the way.

Social care in this country has long been a disgrace.
As someone who has spent the last fifteen years and continues to deal with dreadful English social care system, knowing what I know now I would’ve been so grateful as a younger taxpayer to pay an extra 1-2% NI.
I wonder if the opposition to this policy is primarily from those who’ve yet had to deal with elderly sick parents in need of social care.

tavyred

Reassuring to learn that Krankie isn't anti-English, after all.
The terms ‘Westminster’ and the ‘Toaries’ has long been a useful proxy for the SNP’s latent anti-English xenophobia.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
As someone who has spent the last fifteen years and continues to deal with dreadful English social care system, knowing what I know now I would’ve been so grateful as a younger taxpayer to pay an extra 1-2% NI.
I wonder if the opposition to this policy is primarily from those who’ve yet had to deal with elderly sick parents in need of social care.
Seen as you didn't respond to my point re. income tax, I suppose you're happy with people earning £10k a year paying extra, while those earning millions from things like rental income don't have to?

tavyred

Seen as you didn't respond to my point re. income tax, I suppose you're happy with people earning £10k a year paying extra, while those earning millions from things like rental income don't have to?
Totally happy.
NI seems to me to be the correct vehicle for raising money for social care, for the reasons I’ve already stated.
I take it those earning millions from rental income are still liable for income tax on those earnings?
Low earners are already excused paying any income tax, I don’t see a 1-2% increase in NI being as onerous as you say it is.
BTW you can disappear up your own jacksy thinking about how wealthier people don’t deserve universal benefits, I prefer to think of it as ‘everybody pays in, everybody gets a bit back’.