• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Again, you write as if the dominant narrative was of Leave voters making glorious claims as to the economic benefits of Brexit and who are now engaged wilfully in making excuses for that not happening.
The fact is remainers from the get go have consistently predicted economic detriment that would be clearly and obviously down to Brexit.
I think Cameron gave the game away a year or so after the referendum when in an unguarded moment he admitted that the U.K. would be OK.
The longer this goes on it smacks of a political class desperate to stay in the EU and dreaming up the crashing and burning economy story to suit.
I think most of us recognise that allowing Cameron to be the main voice of remain was a mistake. He was always a politician of negativity, it's the only way he knows how to campaign, and that's how he framed the remain narrative.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think most of us recognise that allowing Cameron to be the main voice of remain was a mistake. He was always a politician of negativity, it's the only way he knows how to campaign, and that's how he framed the remain narrative.
Yep.
He was also the face of austerity, it wasn’t particularly an appealing visual to see him wax lyrical about the benefits of EU membership after putting England specifically through half a decade of swingeing cuts. I’m not surprised vast swathes of the electorate opted for a complete reboot when the political establishment were advocating so strongly for the status quo. Some status quo, they must have thought.
The irony of course being that Brussels had no input to the coalition government’s austerity agenda.
All water under the bridge now of course. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

Yep.
He was also the face of austerity, it wasn’t particularly an appealing visual to see him wax lyrical about the benefits of EU membership after putting England specifically through half a decade of swingeing cuts. I’m not surprised vast swathes of the electorate opted for a complete reboot when the political establishment were advocating so strongly for the status quo. Some status quo, they must have thought.
The irony of course being that Brussels had no input to the coalition government’s austerity agenda.
All water under the bridge now of course. 🤷‍♂️
I've always wondered why the Political Establishment wanted to keep the status quo when especially between 2010-19 it benefitted no one in the country, Austerity has probably done more damage to the UK than Covid ever will, It left us so vulnerable and really kicked those who are on the bottom run of life, Yet we were told it was for us all, "We're all in it together" What utter bollox but all parties just carried on with policies that really only helped a minority of people and the rest of us would still struggle.

angelic upstart

I've always wondered why the Political Establishment wanted to keep the status quo when especially between 2010-19 it benefitted no one in the country, Austerity has probably done more damage to the UK than Covid ever will, It left us so vulnerable and really kicked those who are on the bottom run of life, Yet we were told it was for us all, "We're all in it together" What utter bollox but all parties just carried on with policies that really only helped a minority of people and the rest of us would still struggle.
I think Jeremy Corbyn was fairly forceful in his message that said pretty much the opposite of that, and for a time, before the MSM really managed to savage him and his colleagues did a fairly decent job of telling the electorate that.

Incidentally, expect price rises on everything very soon as the driver shortage will continue for some lengthy period of time, partly due to their being a 9 month wait for HGV tests because of covid and partly because it's a tough job Brits don't want. The massive gain in their salaries will change things but will take at least a year before it actually changes anything. By then, the new Brexit rules will have come into play.

tavyred

I do think that if the working class Leave areas of England had enjoyed Scottish levels of public funding in 2016 and further to that had the Scottish experience of the austerity years, then we’d still be in the EU.
Cameron gave these people an opportunity to give him and Osborne a well deserved kicking, they took it.

Mr Jinx

and partly because it's a tough job Brits don't want.
55 long ones a year helps to focus the mind though doesn't it ?! You'll never get that for picking cabbages. Having said that....

You know, I do often wonder how Blighty ever coped in the dark days before the minimum wage and doors were blown open to Eastern Europe? And you know that's a rhetorical question, because I lived through it, and we coped quite comfortably. Not that you would know that if you spent most of your waking hours doomscrolling the Graun. I used to earn pocket money picking fruit back in the eighties and a lot of fun it was too. I cleaned toilets too - that wasn't as much fun.

PS - hats of to Gove for his Aberdeen rave moment. Hilarious! You go girl!

Last edited:

angelic upstart

55 long ones a year helps to focus the mind though doesn't it ?! You'll never get that for picking cabbages. Having said that....

You know, I do often wonder how Blighty ever coped in the dark days before the minimum wage and doors were blown open to Eastern Europe? And you know that's a rhetorical question, because I lived through it, and we coped quite comfortably. Not that you would know that if you spent most of your waking hours doomscrolling the Graun. I used to earn pocket money picking fruit back in the eighties and a lot of fun it was too. I cleaned toilets too - that wasn't as much fun.

PS - hats of to Gove for his Aberdeen rave moment. Hilarious! You go girl!
Bearing in mind, you're pretty much away for a week at a time the pay ain't great.

The children's jobs have largely gone now, and our food tastes have changed massively as a nation. Meaning we import much more. Not to say I disagree, almost everyone I know had a series of crap jobs as a child, and likely into their 20's those that don't have opportunity simply turn to petty crime, booze and drugs these days. The bigger issue is on the estates it's rarer to work, than not. Father's are largely absent, and often have their own issues. As a nation we need to solve the people issue first and remind most that not everyone makes it to the top. It's one of the downsides of aspiration as a political entity. Those who have achieved it say it's a good thing, because it worked for them, but it doesn't for most.

I loved Gove's little gurning face. Bit strange for a mid 50s bloke to be in youngsters clubs at his age but fair play to him. Shame the country wasn't so friendly to Abbot when she had a mojito on the tube.

P.s. I cleaned exmouth comp as a part time job when I was sixteen. Upper site and hall 4! £3 an hour (£6 a day). Was a king's ransom in the early 90s.

Mr Jinx

Bearing in mind, you're pretty much away for a week at a time the pay ain't great.

The children's jobs have largely gone now, and our food tastes have changed massively as a nation. Meaning we import much more. Not to say I disagree, almost everyone I know had a series of crap jobs as a child, and likely into their 20's those that don't have opportunity simply turn to petty crime, booze and drugs these days. The bigger issue is on the estates it's rarer to work, than not. Father's are largely absent, and often have their own issues. As a nation we need to solve the people issue first and remind most that not everyone makes it to the top. It's one of the downsides of aspiration as a political entity. Those who have achieved it say it's a good thing, because it worked for them, but it doesn't for most.

I loved Gove's little gurning face. Bit strange for a mid 50s bloke to be in youngsters clubs at his age but fair play to him. Shame the country wasn't so friendly to Abbot when she had a mojito on the tube.

P.s. I cleaned exmouth comp as a part time job when I was sixteen. Upper site and hall 4! £3 an hour (£6 a day). Was a king's ransom in the early 90s.
Ha, and I cleaned Exmouth Sports Center when I was 16. We probably crossed paths many times, lol.

I too did a Gove a little while back. Had a bloody great time! Kudos to him; cutting loose a bit having been newly divorced.

tavyred

Metropolitan Lefties beginning to cotton on to the benefits of labour shortages?

Mr Jinx

Exeter University amongst a few others been found guilty of laying on special flights to bus in new Chinese students. Even now, after all that's happened.

Shameful.