• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
There is something peculiarly middle class and ‘Remoanery’ about people complaining about the odd empty supermarket shelf.
A bit like the posh London woman on BBC QT that time worrying about who will prepare her coffee and sandwich in ‘Pret’ if we left the EU. 🙄
My tongue is firmly in my cheek with this, as it often is. There are a few empty shelves in Newquay but there’s plenty of food. I’m down to my last bottle of truffle oil, but I’ll be alright.

Alistair20000

My tongue is firmly in my cheek with this, as it often is. There are a few empty shelves in Newquay but there’s plenty of food. I’m down to my last bottle of truffle oil, but I’ll be alright.
Would that be the black truffle oil or the white truffle oil fred ? I would be lost without both. ;)

Grecian2K

Would that be the black truffle oil or the white truffle oil fred ? I would be lost without both. ;)
Good to see you aren't prejudiced Al.

tonykellowfan

The chairman of Tesco was on R4 the other day and he said Tesco (who represent about 1 in 4 of all money spent on groceries) have 99% of all stock flowing no problem.

He said it is a small crisis for some operators and literally said lets not make a drama out of a crisis.

elginCity

Covid has been a godsend for the Brexiteers of course.
Yep. Brexiters have always said post Brexit would mean ‘bumps in the road’, rest assured it’ll be COVID when the wheels fall off.

Grecian2K

Yep. Brexiters have always said post Brexit would mean ‘bumps in the road’, rest assured it’ll be COVID when the wheels fall off.
Doubtless the usual suspects on here will be claiming that they aren't "bumps in the road" but "essential traffic calming measures"

And that it won't matter a jot even if/when "the wheels fall off" because there's no longer any skilled (foreign) labour to drive the lorries anyway.

Oldsmobile-88

Stagecoach have a serious lack of drivers,but that is down to paying crap wages in a time of drivers being at a premium.A decent pay rise for bus drivers must be in the offing..A silver lining for that group of workers after years of being screwed over.
Reported today that 120 drivers have left Stagecoach in Devon since the end of May.Only a fraction have been replaced.
Poor pay & conditions being the main reason.A friend of mine said they have not had a pay rise in 18 months.They have been offered a pay rise of 1.5%,which after deductions is worth about 8p a hour.Some reward for working through the pandemic !

If you hear about operating difficulties,it’s not to do with Covid or Brexit.

DB9

Reported today that 120 drivers have left Stagecoach in Devon since the end of May.Only a fraction have been replaced.
Poor pay & conditions being the main reason.A friend of mine said they have not had a pay rise in 18 months.They have been offered a pay rise of 1.5%,which after deductions is worth about 8p a hour.Some reward for working through the pandemic !

If you hear about operating difficulties,it’s not to do with Covid or Brexit.
With the shortages of drivers etc this story will not help them recruit many replacements, You pay crap and working conditions are awful not many will apply, Think Stagecoach management need to look at their pay and conditions policy.

tavyred

With the shortages of drivers etc this story will not help them recruit many replacements, You pay crap and working conditions are awful not many will apply, Think Stagecoach management need to look at their pay and conditions policy.
The days of opening a fresh box of cheap to hire Eastern European’s are over. U.K. firms need to look after and invest in their workforce. I’m not sure they get it yet.

Mr Jinx

The days of opening a fresh box of cheap to hire Eastern European’s are over. U.K. firms need to look after and invest in their workforce. I’m not sure they get it yet.
One thing I never understood is the cap put on UK students coming through as doctors.

Go to any hospital in London and you'll be hard pushed to find what you'd consider a "British" doctor.

And as for nurses, of the many we encountered with the birth of our 2 sons, I think only one was British per se.