• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pre-season Friendlies

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks, I'll be watching it, means I can also watch the Lions now too.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Covid I'm guessing.

andrew p long

elsewhere it says the Ui8s -v- Mousehole was off due to Covid so...

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
They never used to be for that purpose only, as I expect you'll recall. Before the PL was formed we had decent PSF opposition rocking up at SJP, attendances when the bigger names turned up of 1,500-2,000 were not unusual. PSFs against 6th/7th/8th tier teams were less prevalent back then.
Before that though in the dim and distant past none at all and we used to turn up to watch “The Whites v The Blues” or “The Probables v The Possibles”.

The days when the Reserves played in the then “Southern League” with the games regularly watched by between 1,000 to 2,000 hardy souls lol

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
The days when the Reserves played in the then “Southern League” with the games regularly watched by between 1,000 to 2,000 hardy souls lol
That situation is the equivalent of Prem teams wanting B teams in Leagues One and Two.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've been impressed with the short glimpses of Jack Veale i've seen this pre season, think he might leapfrog Harry Kite into the first team.

Harry needs more consistency to his game from what I have seen, perhaps a difficult game to judge today but he was one of the more 'senior' players on the pitch and wasn't showing the quality I thought he had last season

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've been impressed with the short glimpses of Jack Veale i've seen this pre season, think he might leapfrog Harry Kite into the first team.

Harry needs more consistency to his game from what I have seen, perhaps a difficult game to judge today but he was one of the more 'senior' players on the pitch and wasn't showing the quality I thought he had last season
Agreed, I'm sure he'll take the tried and tested route of a loan to somewhere in non-league but after that he does look like he could be challenging for the first team sooner rather than later.

andrew p long

seems strange that we put out an U23 (well even younger actually) side against Brizzle today? Wouldn't Dorchester have been a better fixture than today's mismatch?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
seems strange that we put out an U23 (well even younger actually) side against Brizzle today? Wouldn't Dorchester have been a better fixture than today's mismatch?
Depends what you want to achieve. If you want a decent work out then this was a good fixture.