• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I meant to add some context to this tweet. It was prompted in response to a domestic abuse case. The defendant in that case was the player Barton stubbed his cigar out on (in his eye) and in mitigation had cited that incident as the beginning of his decline.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
So in Bristol, if not Kew, it would seem that you can kick your wife in the head with impunity?
Make of it what you will but it's probably worth mentioning that Barton's wife didn't want charges brought and has posted messages to this effect on social media.

http://instagr.am/p/CRv2AkEsy53/
As a further aside, playing devil's advocate for a moment, compare and contrast the reaction to this court case with the one which saw Caroline Flack charged with hitting her partner over the head with a lamp.

Plainly, Barton has some serious issues but not sure these things are always as black and white as some would have you believe.

Make of it what you will but it's probably worth mentioning that Barton's wife didn't want charges brought and has posted messages to this effect on social media.

As a further aside, playing devil's advocate for a moment, compare and contrast the reaction to this court case with the one which saw Caroline Flack charged with hitting her partner over the head with a lamp.

Plainly, Barton has some serious issues but not sure these things are always as black and white as some would have you believe.
Not saying he is guilty, but could she be scared to go against him? It’s unusual for the police to go for it without the attacked putting in an accusation.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not saying he is guilty, but could she be scared to go against him? It’s unusual for the police to go for it without the attacked putting in an accusation.
She was obviously scared enough to ring the police.ice to have him removed from the premises.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some interesting detail in this report.

StudentGrecian

Yes we can compare and contrast between Caroline Flack and Joey Barton. But the problem was the media handling of the situation, not wether or not bringing charges were correct. For far too long we have dealt with domestic abuse as a ‘private matter’, being able to prosecute without evidence from the victim will no doubt have saved many people from further abuse.

I believe that the decision of the CPS to charge is based on evidence, and with no help from the victim or their friends, you’d expect their evidence must be extensive to go to trial. I don’t believe in a media witch-hunt, but Rovers statement trying to dampen the allegations only goes to harm sufferers of domestic abuse. In most cases you’d see a suspension pending the outcome of the trial, I’m shocked Barton is receiving public backing from his club against allegations of domestic abuse.

I recommend reading the rovers forum, some fantastic posts by former sufferers of domestic abuse, and how their club is alienating them by taking this stance.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes we can compare and contrast between Caroline Flack and Joey Barton. But the problem was the media handling of the situation, not wether or not bringing charges were correct. For far too long we have dealt with domestic abuse as a ‘private matter’, being able to prosecute without evidence from the victim will no doubt have saved many people from further abuse.

I believe that the decision of the CPS to charge is based on evidence, and with no help from the victim or their friends, you’d expect their evidence must be extensive to go to trial. I don’t believe in a media witch-hunt, but Rovers statement trying to dampen the allegations only goes to harm sufferers of domestic abuse. In most cases you’d see a suspension pending the outcome of the trial, I’m shocked Barton is receiving public backing from his club against allegations of domestic abuse.

I recommend reading the rovers forum, some fantastic posts by former sufferers of domestic abuse, and how their club is alienating them by taking this stance.
For the avoidance of doubt, I don't disagree with anything you have said. I'm just trying to inform the debate.

Red Bill

My wife has spent 10 years working as an IDVA and you're right its fairly unusal for the police to take this step, and not at all unusual for victims not to want to.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lewis Ward signs for Swindon Town.

Grecianman135

Lewis Ward signs for Swindon Town.
Odds on Swindon somehow fluking playoffs somehow...

Status
Not open for further replies.