• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jonathan Grounds (departs)

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whos knows what he was offered, perhaps a longer deal at Harrogate. Tbh I don't think his injuries are properly behind him
I agree, I liked him and thought he was a decent full back, but I don’t trust his injuries. Let’s see how many games he plays for Harrogate.

manc grecian

So we've got rid of a player who might not play every game due to injuries and replaced them with a player who won't play every game due to age/injury.

That's progress

geoffwp

I would love to be excited, but am utterly underwhelmed. Its almost beginning to feel that we have been taken for fools in believing any of Matts pre-season promises.
Promises? I dont recall any promises! I recall Matt Taylor talking about what he wanted, what his vision was etc. The fact that it may not have worked out exactly as he wished is likely more down to those intended players not accepting contracts with us for whatever reason they had; having better offers, wanting to stay in a certain area etc.

Promises? I dont recall any promises! I recall Matt Taylor talking about what he wanted, what his vision was etc. The fact that it may not have worked out exactly as he wished is likely more down to those intended players not accepting contracts with us for whatever reason they had; having better offers, wanting to stay in a certain area etc.
He definitely said that there were going to be “marquee” signings. Game changers, maybe not a promise, but it’s turning into false hope..which is worse!

Colesman Ballz

And there lies the worry. Other than Nombe, who appears to be the type of player we've not seen for a long time, we're unable to know if any of the other signings are better than those that have left.

What worries me is Dieng for Taylor - Taylor was very reliable at putting in a solid performance. He was a 7/10 most weeks and now and again chucked in an 8 or 9/10 performance. If Dieng can't find the consistency that Taylor produced then we are weaker in the middle of the park and that's concerning.
Perhaps you should wait until you have seen him play a few times before you start ****ing bricks ? :unsure:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps you should wait until you have seen him play a few times before you start ****ing bricks ? :unsure:
I never shit bricks over a game of football, just give my thoughts and opinions and they are that currently our midfield is weaker than it was previously.

ryancooper327

"What stood out to me was Grounds’ communication to those around him. His lack of pace was sometimes exploited, but overall the Thornaby man marshalled his teammates efficiently and stuck to his task nicely."

Swindon Town player ratings after defeat to Sunderland | Swindon Advertiser

He'll fit in the Ray and Sweens in the no-pace club. I can't even recall Hartridge being that quick. At least he is a good communicator...

robchave

Look, there is no way that we are going to sign an ex-Prem, ex-Championship player, who is still in their prime. Experience comes with age and age comes with a loss of pace and a risk of more injuries. We need some experience in the squad and this is what this guy brings. This kind of player will do a limited job, within his limits. If we expect any more then, of course, we're going to be disappointed.

MerleyRed

I accept that 'promises' may be be a poor choice of word, but regardless of how we describe his statement of intent, it has not come to fruition. It was not a case of him outlining his vision, he said that this is what I am going to do. Clearly things have not panned out as he intended and my main gripe is that he should have foreseen this possibility and not raised expectations as he did. Such was his apparent confidence, a number of us assumed that he had players already lined up, clearly this was not the case.

Look, there is no way that we are going to sign an ex-Prem, ex-Championship player, who is still in their prime. Experience comes with age and age comes with a loss of pace and a risk of more injuries. We need some experience in the squad and this is what this guy brings. This kind of player will do a limited job, within his limits. If we expect any more then, of course, we're going to be disappointed.
Would you be saying the same thing if we had just re-signed Dean Moxey?