• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
In relation to Labour and Starmer I am quite surprised that they haven't learnt the basic lesson of Blair which is that you need to be positive. Blair's election tune was "things can only get better" ffs.

Part of the attraction of Boris is that he is seen as up beat and positive.

Pollers know for a fact that this works with voters. What so many wonks/journalists/political obsessives don't seem to realise is that most voters aren't much interested in politics.
Interesting to see that Starmer has just ejected around 1,000 hardline Corbynistas from the Labour Party.

I am wondering if this is a good or bad move for Labour? He's morphing them back into New Labour slowly, but is that going to help their cause?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting to see that Starmer has just ejected around 1,000 hardline Corbynistas from the Labour Party.

I am wondering if this is a good or bad move for Labour? He's morphing them back into New Labour slowly, but is that going to help their cause?
Well it couldn't have got much worse. The odds are stacked against him, might as well do something drastic. As I said before, nothing to lose, everything to gain.

angelic upstart

Any thoughts on Dawn Butler today folks? Personally, I was mildly irked by the amount of words she said incorrectly bearing in mind she was reading them.

DB9

Any thoughts on Dawn Butler today folks? Personally, I was mildly irked by the amount of words she said incorrectly bearing in mind she was reading them.
It's like she's got off school early before the summer hols by getting caught setting off the fire alarm. Since MP's aren't allowed to use the word liar, She did, Even after being asked not to by the Speaker she was sent to the naughty step.

angelic upstart

I suspect they’re not allowed to use the word liar as little else would be said in parliament at any time, ever.

Reactions: DB9

Spoonz Red E

I thought she made a good point.
Johnson is an inveterate liar - not the first but a serial offender.

Because the House rules say you can't call a fellow MP a liar, those who consistently lie have an undeserved comfort zone.

Sometimes you have to stop pussyfooting around with the 'economical with the truth' cop out.
The concept of misleading the house now seems to be a mere irritant to be swatted away.

angelic upstart

I thought she made a good point.
Johnson is an inveterate liar - not the first but a serial offender.

Because the House rules say you can't call a fellow MP a liar, those who consistently lie have an undeserved comfort zone.

Sometimes you have to stop pussyfooting around with the 'economical with the truth' cop out.
The concept of misleading the house now seems to be a mere irritant to be swatted away.
I totally agree with your second and third paragraphs. I’m just not sure she made her point well, nor at a time when she could have any comeback. The video she mentions completely explains why they are lies, how and what the actual answers were. She needed to be more forensic, and less gotcha. In my humble.

Spoonz Red E

I totally agree with your second and third paragraphs. I’m just not sure she made her point well, nor at a time when she could have any comeback. The video she mentions completely explains why they are lies, how and what the actual answers were. She needed to be more forensic, and less gotcha. In my humble.
I get what you're saying in terms of being more forensic and it would have been better if she was.

Then again I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Starmer being forensic at PMQs and Johnson just not answering any question at all, throw in a few lies (sorry Madam Speaker) wrap up with his prepared 'joke' or catchphrase and, to all intents and purposes as far as the reporting of it goes, scrape a draw.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
A bit of a waste of time, his supporters have demonstrated time and again they don't care about the lies.

tavyred

Just a bit of end of term ‘sh*thousery’ from Butler. I don’t suppose it’ll move the dial any.
It is a longstanding tradition in Parliament that nothing is gained by allowing a member to insult another member in debates in the house. It would be like a Tory MP referring to certain individual Labour MP’s as ‘Jew haters’ for example, a insult that has the ring of truth about it, but does nothing to advance the cause of civilised debate.
It does however speak to the paucity of ideas in the parliamentary Labour Party if Butler’s playground antics yesterday are all they’ve got.