• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England v Italy Euro 2020 Final: Match Day Thread

tonykellowfan

Shame really as a bit like the world cup Southgate is an 8/10 manager and with a better manager we might have won it.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I take it you didn't hear his post match Europa League final interview. The kid had clearly lost his mind. I wouldn't have had him the squad tbh. What particularly galled me was again his refusal to wear the losers medal. I grant you he wasn't the only one last night, but he needs to start owning things and not look for excuses.

With regards your question "if we had been more attacking, how many more would we have conceded?", therein lies the rub. A question that sorts the master tacticians (Mancini) from the plucky amateurs (Southgate).
I still don't get the man baby thing, but I get you don't like him. I'd not have had him in the squad as he's clearly injured.

Agree with the comment re Mancini/Southgate though.

Rosencrantz

Shame really as a bit like the world cup Southgate is an 8/10 manager and with a better manager we might have won it.
We have had better/higher decorated tactical managers and players and not come as close or no further (90 & 96) as in the last two competitions. There is something that is obviously going right with this group and staff which you have not been able to say in a generation (1996).

There is still another step to take and the staff know that. But this isn't a squad coming to an end.

Grecian2K

But, unfortunately, Mr Tisdale was too busy rescuing Colchester from relegation to accept the gig in time.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
But, unfortunately, Mr Tisdale was too busy rescuing Colchester from relegation to accept the gig in time.
Not beaten by the better team…..beaten by the better manager.

Rosencrantz

Not beaten by the better team…..beaten by the better manager.
Can we name a better English manager though?

We had one of the most decorated and tactically astute managers of his generation in Capello and got nowhere.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I liked this article from north of the border.

LOG

Despite all of our strength in depth, it was obvious early on in the tournament that the only starting places really up for grabs were the Mount and Trippier positions and it was, perdictably, personnel in those positions which were normally subbed. Despite playing well in the first half, Kane and Sterling disappeared in the second half but you knew that they wouldn't be taken off.

We lost not because Italy are a better side than us but because we didn't react to the tactical changes they made. We just kept trying to play the same game even though the rules had changed.

Colesman Ballz

The really annoying thing is that we could have still come out with a win, but for Southgate's crazy selection of penalty takers. Rushford seemed like a decent choice, but was so preoccupied out thinking the keeper, that he did himself as well, what on earth was he thinking ? Saka and Sancho should never have been asked to take them. I am all for playing young players who have "no fear", but this wasn't a match situation where you react instantly by instinct. The full drama of the occasion and the forty yard or so walk from the half way line in the cauldron of a European Final was too big an ask. Then to say that he decided on the takers based on training sessions beggars belief. There is no way that you can adequately replicate the intense pressure that they would be exposed to. Southgate of all people should have realised this. Perhaps he can now advise them how to mitigate their suffering at least financially by lining up some lucrative ads for some pizza company !

Red Devon

The really annoying thing is that we could have still come out with a win, but for Southgate's crazy selection of penalty takers. Rushford seemed like a decent choice, but was so preoccupied out thinking the keeper, that he did himself as well, what on earth was he thinking ? Saka and Sancho should never have been asked to take them. I am all for playing young players who have "no fear", but this wasn't a match situation where you react instantly by instinct. The full drama of the occasion and the forty yard or so walk from the half way line in the cauldron of a European Final was too big an ask. Then to say that he decided on the takers based on training sessions beggars belief. There is no way that you can adequately replicate the intense pressure that they would be exposed to. Southgate of all people should have realised this. Perhaps he can now advise them how to mitigate their suffering at least financially by lining up some lucrative ads for some pizza company !
Maguire and Kane showed them the way to do it ....for what it’s worth I reckon Walker and Henderson would have just put there foot through it in the same fashion, we probably wouldn’t have seen any ridiculous run ups anyway :( the outcome couldn’t have been any worse:(