• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintJames

Certainly showing some intent. We obviously don’t know a lot about either of them other than what we read , but if City had signed them I’d have a kind of warm feeling that we were on the right track forward wise.I thought that ex Hartlepool forward looked dangerous and useful in the Torquay game and Orsi seems to know where the net is.
I hope the couple of forward signings our Matt is going to land will look as good .No more repeats of Nicky please .
Same view. They look decent players both of which had good records ( I know it was level below) and assume would be hungry to prove a point. I would have been happy with one let alone both!

DawlishBouy

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57623961

Harrogate make a second very impressive striker signing - I know Harrogate is a very nice place and all that but are we really struggling to recruit when teams that have no pedigree or history to speak of seem to be recruiting. I know I know there are weeks to go and all that .................

Seriously wonder how Hartlepool will be competitive mind
His other possibly more important stat shows:
In his 2 seasons at Salford [our level] Armtrong scored 1 goal in 25 appearances.

SaintJames

In his 2 seasons at Salford [our level] Armtrong scored 1 goal in 25 appearances.
So much better than Seymour :)

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Then again , maybe not the best example but look at Paul Mullin for Cambridge this last season , suddenly finds goal scoring form.And closer to home Jamie Cureton always found the net with us.Who knows who will click this year , let’s just say those two forwards they’ve signed seem to have potential.

DawlishBouy

Then again , maybe not the best example but look at Paul Mullin for Cambridge this last season , suddenly finds goal scoring form.And closer to home Jamie Cureton always found the net with us.Who knows who will click this year , let’s just say those two forwards they’ve signed seem to have potential.
Of the 7 players who scored lots of goals in the NL in 2019/20 and moved into League Two for 2020/21 only Scott Quigley at Barrow continued to score goals. Jamie Reid, Innih Effiong, Tyrone Marsh, Simeon Akinola, Gime Toure and Liam McAlinden scored 86 goals between them in the NL and then scored a combined total of just 13 in League Two. You could say “might be this season’s Paul Mullin” or “this season’s Max Watters” about any striker you care to mention.

SaintJames

Of the 7 players who scored lots of goals in the NL in 2019/20 and moved into League Two for 2020/21 only Scott Quigley at Barrow continued to score goals. Jamie Reid, Innih Effiong, Tyrone Marsh, Simeon Akinola, Gime Toure and Liam McAlinden scored 86 goals between them in the NL and then scored a combined total of just 13 in League Two. You could say “might be this season’s Paul Mullin” or “this season’s Max Watters” about any striker you care to mention.
Very Interesting thanks for the research and puts things into perspective

Banksy

True. Only said ‘ seem to have potential’. I wouldn’t have been unhappy if we’d taken a punt on Orsi especially as he’d linked up with Coley before. I suppose it’s all a chance for most teams at our level with not a lot of cash to splash.

sign of the chimes

Think he may have came on as a sub when we played you at Fratton a few seasons ago.
He played the first hour in the EFL Cup semi-final between us the season before last.

He certainly played in the Premier Cup game at SJP last year just before the area final of the Papa Smurf Trophy (or whatever) at Fratton Park. He was certainly a physical handful against Hartridge and Dyer but went off injured after about half an hour. City went on to win against a fairly strong looking Pompey lineup.

It will be interesting to see if L2 is more to his liking goals wise and whether he can keep fit.
I don't think he'll ever be prolific but when he's on form and confident he can be a real handful. The fitness observation is a really pertinent one. He wasn't the most robust in that respect in his time with us which, in turn, didn't do his form/confidence much good. Think he's struggled with that as well, among other things at Ipswich - which hasn't worked out for him at all.

If he can stay fit and Clough manages him well then I reckon he could be a very good signing for Mansfield. From afar it's felt like they've often just signed players rather than building a team in recent years - based on his previous roles I can't see that being the case under Clough. I'll definitely keep an eye on who else they're signing this summer to inform my league winners accumulator in August.

Thought afterwards it may have been Bird I was thinking of, big lanky type.
Ryan Bird! We signed him from about two or three leagues down from the National League, off the back of a couple of pre-season run-outs, and he quit his job as an electrician to sign professional terms. He was a late starter and managed a few seasons in L2 after his season with us. He definitely played in a game against you which I remember fairly well, a 3-2 on a very blustery day at Fratton. He scored twice as we took a 3-0 lead - two of the three league goals he managed that season. You got two back in the last quarter of an an hour or so and then had about ten minutes where you did everything but score.

iscalad

He played the first hour in the EFL Cup semi-final between us the season before last.

I don't think he'll ever be prolific but when he's on form and confident he can be a real handful. The fitness observation is a really pertinent one. He wasn't the most robust in that respect in his time with us which, in turn, didn't do his form/confidence much good. Think he's struggled with that as well, among other things at Ipswich - which hasn't worked out for him at all.

If he can stay fit and Clough manages him well then I reckon he could be a very good signing for Mansfield. From afar it's felt like they've often just signed players rather than building a team in recent years - based on his previous roles I can't see that being the case under Clough. I'll definitely keep an eye on who else they're signing this summer to inform my league winners accumulator in August.

Ryan Bird! We signed him from about two or three leagues down from the National League, off the back of a couple of pre-season run-outs, and he quit his job as an electrician to sign professional terms. He was a late starter and managed a few seasons in L2 after his season with us. He definitely played in a game against you which I remember fairly well, a 3-2 on a very blustery day at Fratton. He scored twice as we took a 3-0 lead - two of the three league goals he managed that season. You got two back in the last quarter of an an hour or so and then had about ten minutes where you did everything but score.
Remember that game. The wind scored 2 of your goals🤔

Rosencrantz

You always get the feeling that although the Radford's have thrown money at Mansfield they have always got in the way as well. They have had strong, good pedigree managers before (alright, Steve Evans but he normally knows his way out of L2) but not got it right. You still get the feeling they will get it right some time though and if they let Clough get on with it, it maybe that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.