• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting to see that Reclaim, Reform & the independent candidate (Paul Halloran who got 6,400 votes there last time) are all standing aside in Batley to strengthen the Tories chances there in 3 weeks time.

Not only that, you have George Galloway standing who may siphon off a bit of the Muslim vote there to weaken Labour's chances further. The LibDems & Greens are also standing to split the non-right vote further. So much for the non-Tory alliance.

It's not looking good for Sir Kier.
I guess the 1 or 2% of the vote from the likes of Reclaim/Reform could make all the difference.

Labour have almost always polled over 40% of the vote so will be interesting to see their percentage this time round.

Mr Jinx

I guess the 1 or 2% of the vote from the likes of Reclaim/Reform could make all the difference.
Not as much as the 12% Paul Halloran got there last time. He wrestled with it for a while, but he's now coming out saying vote Tory to get rid of Starmer. Exactly the same thing as Galloway is saying incidentally (albeit vote for me). It's as if it is a vote on Starmer more than anything. Labour could still cling on however as there is a big ethnic vote there. It'll boil down to how many that have voted Labour in the past stay at home this time.

We shall see. Not too long to wait now.

angelic upstart

Not as much as the 12% Paul Halloran got there last time. He wrestled with it for a while, but he's now coming out saying vote Tory to get rid of Starmer. Exactly the same thing as Galloway is saying incidentally (albeit vote for me). It's as if it is a vote on Starmer more than anything. Labour could still cling on however as there is a big ethnic vote there. It'll boil down to how many that have voted Labour in the past stay at home this time.

We shall see. Not too long to wait now.
Halloran is essentially UKIP so it makes sense. I know Batley a bit and it's very mixed, and exactly the sort of place that needs levelling up. I can see them voting conservative as you know they'll throw a few quid at the place before the next election. At the moment, anyone living in a traditional labour area should vote conservative just to get some improvement to services.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Labour have no chance. Queue more of the usual suspects saying Starmer is finished for a few weeks, then things carrying on as before.

Mr Jinx

Labour have no chance.
Not according to Betfair who give them a 3.5/1 chance (versus 1/4 against). But yeah, not looking good for Labour.

What gets me is that despite progressives saying there has to be a rainbow Left leaning alliance which makes absolute sense if they are to stand a chance....it's the Right that seems a lot more ahead of the game on the alliance front.

DB9

Not according to Betfair who give them a 3.5/1 chance (versus 1/4 against). But yeah, not looking good for Labour.

What gets me is that despite progressives saying there has to be a rainbow Left leaning alliance....it's the Right that seems a lot more ahead of the game on the alliance front.
That showed in the Brexit argument, There was talk of a "Remain Alliance" but came to nothing and fell apart just before the 2019 GE.

tavyred

Also today it's Hancock's turn to go before the Health select committee and answer questions.
Cummings fails to provide the select committee with the evidence to back up his Hancock allegations.🙄

DB9

Cummings fails to provide the select committee with the evidence to back up his Hancock allegations.🙄
They said that on TV earlier, No evidence to back up his claim then it's a case of "He said, He said" Unlike the twattersphere, You need proof to back up your claims, Not just "Outrage"

Mr Jinx

Quel surprise. It therefore becomes nothing more than your typical ex-employees bitter rant.

A bit like Ginge & Whinge and their Royal Family being racist allegations.

If you're going to make allegations, back it up with something substantial FFS. Don't base your argument on little more than hearsay and tittle tattle.

Mr Jinx

Halloran is essentially UKIP so it makes sense.
UKIP are fielding a candidate incidentally. What the point of UKIP is now is beyond me? They pretty much turned into the BNP once Farage had left and probably attract that kind of voter, but from the far right there's also a candidate from For Britain.

Last edited: