• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

Pobbop

His crossing ability is brilliant that seems a good start to me, and I thought he was pretty good in the curtailed season, one of our top players. In the end Randall keeping you out isn't a bad thing.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd like to see Seymour given the chance as part of a proper strike pairing. He isn't a No 10 or a target which are the roles he has been continually asked to play. I don't think once he has been allowed to play his own game so he can show where or how he can be effective.

Red Devon

I'd like to see Seymour given the chance as part of a proper strike pairing. He isn't a No 10 or a target which are the roles he has been continually asked to play. I don't think once he has been allowed to play his own game so he can show where or how he can be effective.
Unless he has a storming pre season, that chance will have to come from coming off the substitutes bench and Ben will have to take it this time....I can’t see Matt giving him games so to speak unless there’s real belief that the goals will start to come for him.

Memphis09

Will also depend on new signings just don’t think he is good enough I am afraid

Grecianpasty

I have hope for Jack. He started scoring towards the end of the season and has shown glimpses of quality play. Right call by MT having him focus on being a winger.

grecIAN Harris

W
Unless he has a storming pre season, that chance will have to come from coming off the substitutes bench and Ben will have to take it this time....I can’t see Matt giving him games so to speak unless there’s real belief that the goals will start to come for him.
Whether it's starting or off the bench he needs to be playing his own game not someone else's and every time he was on the pitch last season he was expected to be Bowman or Jay not Seymour.

geoffwp

I have hope for Jack. He started scoring towards the end of the season and has shown glimpses of quality play. Right call by MT having him focus on being a winger.
Agree with this. I honestly cannot see where other are coming from when they say Sparkes isn't good enough or that he had a poor season. I think his season simply wasnt as good as we had hoped, for one reason or another so consequently weve been disappointed. That doesnt mean the lad cant come good. MT has talked focusing on a more forward role as GP says and the 'make this count' warning from the manager is obviously designed to get Jack fully focused and working his butt off to get his game back on song.
I remember watching him in several academy U21 games so I know in my mind this lad has what it takes. Come on Jack. Show us all what you really can do.

andrew p long

Jack Sparkes is 20. He will be 20 at the start of next season. Where does MT get the idea he will be turning 22/23 next season?

He will be the same age this coming season as Joel Randall and Josh Key were last season. Nobody said it was a make or break season for then at the same age - in fact at the same age MT hadn't started them in the league.

No wonder so many of our players want to leave when the manager so often gives interviews focussing on negatives/weaknesses in their play and/or issues publicthreats to their futures. There's a simple saying 'praise in public, criticise in private' that MT needs to learn.

PS where is TPC? Hasn't he been saying (correctly) all season that Sparkes shouldn't play left back?

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

Jack Sparkes is 20. He will be 20 at the start of next season. Where does MT get the idea he will be turning 22/23 next season?

He will be the same age this coming season as Joel Randall and Josh Key were last season. Nobody said it was a make or break season for then at the same age - in fact at the same age MT hadn't started them in the league.

No wonder so many of our players want to leave when the manager so often gives interviews focussing on negatives/weaknesses in their play and/or issues publicthreats to their futures. There's a simple saying 'praise in public, criticise in private' that MT needs to learn.

PS where is TPC? Hasn't he been saying (correctly) all season that Sparkes shouldn't play left back?
Seymour is 22 so will be 23. It's really stating the obvious that both are out of contract this time next year so will have to work hard to earn a new contract. That's pretty much universal. Neither of them have had the season they themselves hoped for.

jimbo-gould

I was pretty confident that Sparkes had all the attributes once he learns the game a bit better. That is until one of the last games of the season where he was trying to chase back and seemed slower than a barge boat. If you’re not quick you need to be smart, and that’s the hardest part of the game to learn.