• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Flying Scotsman is an overhyped piece of junk. For the cost the NRM spent acquiring and restoring it, you could have built two brand new Tornados ! You should keep your eyes pealed on July 9th instead, when Bulleid Merchant Navy Class, 35018 British India Line is running on a rail tour to commemorate the end of steam on the Southern Region in July 1967. It runs from Waterloo to Yeovil Junction, where the loco will be turned and serviced whilst a diesel takes the train on to Weymouth. 35018 will follow 'light engine' before returning the train to Waterloo via Bournemouth and Southampton.

Now that is "Proper Engine" running on the very lines it was built for, and the sight will probably leave Big Al drooling with nostalgia ! :)

Alistair20000

The Flying Scotsman is an overhyped piece of junk. For the cost the NRM spent acquiring and restoring it, you could have built two brand new Tornados ! You should keep your eyes pealed on July 9th instead, when Bulleid Merchant Navy Class, 35018 British India Line is running on a rail tour to commemorate the end of steam on the Southern Region in July 1967. It runs from Waterloo to Yeovil Junction, where the loco will be turned and serviced whilst a diesel takes the train on to Weymouth. 35018 will follow 'light engine' before returning the train to Waterloo via Bournemouth and Southampton.

Now that is "Proper Engine" running on the very lines it was built for, and the sight will probably leave Big Al drooling with nostalgia ! :)
Yes indeed Mr Ballz. Thank you muchly for the heads up on this one. (y)

There is a Hants v Somerset T20 evening game that night so I will assiduously study the timetable for this event and see if I can make a day of it.

As this engine was withdrawn in August 1964 I never travelled to Poole College when it was in charge and I do not recall ever seeing it. Orient Line 35008 (sadly scrapped) was a regular on the Waterloo to Weymouth line in the last couple of years of steam, often in charge of The Royal Wessex morning train to Waterloo so that one was my personal favourite. Sadly the nameplate seems to be missing in this otherwise beautiful photo.

Colesman Ballz

Yes indeed Mr Ballz. Thank you muchly for the heads up on this one. (y)

There is a Hants v Somerset T20 evening game that night so I will assiduously study the timetable for this event and see if I can make a day of it.

As this engine was withdrawn in August 1964 I never travelled to Poole College when it was in charge and I do not recall ever seeing it. Orient Line 35008 (sadly scrapped) was a regular on the Waterloo to Weymouth line in the last couple of years of steam, often in charge of The Royal Wessex morning train to Waterloo so that one was my personal favourite. Sadly the nameplate seems to be missing in this otherwise beautiful photo.

View attachment 6148
If you pm your address to me, I will send you a nice b&w shot taken at Weymuff in early 1967 of another member of the class that you will doubtless remember, prior to it's departure upto Waterloo.

Oldsmobile-88

Rail passenger numbers have declined slightly in the past month: currently 42.7% of pre-pandemic levels.

For comparison,road use reached 102% last weekend.

Oldsmobile-88

A rarity for the sea wall at Dawlish yesterday.

LSL Midland Pullman PCS Nos 43046 and 43055 working the LSL Midland Pullman Rail Tour from Eastleigh to Penzance and return Passing Langstone Cliff Dawlish Warren, on the 29/05/2021( Many thanks to Thomas Mills for sharing)
725985E4-D7EA-4A5D-A5B3-44C1A40210CD.jpeg

DB9

A rarity for the sea wall at Dawlish yesterday.

LSL Midland Pullman PCS Nos 43046 and 43055 working the LSL Midland Pullman Rail Tour from Eastleigh to Penzance and return Passing Langstone Cliff Dawlish Warren, on the 29/05/2021( Many thanks to Thomas Mills for sharing)
View attachment 6183
Saw this on the way to Tamworth on Friday? It stood out because of the very bright blue livery, One for the various train spotters en route.

Oldsmobile-88

Saw this on the way to Tamworth on Friday? It stood out because of the very bright blue livery, One for the various train spotters en route.
The yellow banana(Network Rail track checker) passed the sea wall last week.
A very colourful rail scene in the past week..

DB9

The yellow banana(Network Rail track checker) passed the sea wall last week.
A very colourful rail scene in the past week..
The train spotters are having a field day, I guess a lot of the trains have been in sheds for the last year and now they're getting a "Blow Out" by visiting various places, Which TBH are a lovely sight and very popular.

DB9

Hants or anyone if interested and around Southampton/Hampshire area tomorrow, The Flying Scotsman is coming through the area for a jaunt out, Not sure of the actual route but the Guard at Romsey said its going through as far as Westbury and back, Plenty train spotters about I reckon.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Steam train on Wednesday. Exeter at 12.25, then later from 18.14 to 18.55. May feature 34046 Braunton.