• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wonder how much the success of Ollie W and the academy in general 1) generates addional interest in City players 2) inflates the value of a player.
I would think that with the recent academy successes clubs would be mad not to keep a check on our youngsters, and they clearly have.
Regarding the value of the youngsters, I guess precedents have been laid down re Ben and Jay Stanno. And we are not desperate, so we can try to be tough in negotiations. But the fact remains that if we can't agree a fee then it goes to arbitration and is out of our hands
If you're talking about MJ : he,'s tied to a contract so we could hold out for more
Whether the previous successes will inflate the value of our players I don't know, but I imagine it might have a slight impact in that interested clubs will know that they would be buying well-prepared players with a good character.
What do you think?

Grecian Max

It was £500,000. Jay's record holds up for multiple seasons though. I'd put him at £1M
1 million for Matt Jay :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

ExmouthMart

It was £500,000. Jay's record holds up for multiple seasons though. I'd put him at £1M
“Jay, who has come through the club's academy, is enjoying his best run in the Exeter first team, scoring more goals this season than in the rest of his time at the club combined - a spell which goes all the way back to September 2013 when he made his debut.….”
This season was his breakthrough season. If Jay is worth £1m according to you we are going to be in trouble signing ‘difference‘ players then.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would think that with the recent academy successes clubs would be mad not to keep a check on our youngsters, and they clearly have.
Regarding the value of the youngsters, I guess precedents have been laid down re Ben and Jay Stanno. And we are not desperate, so we can try to be tough in negotiations. But the fact remains that if we can't agree a fee then it goes to arbitration and is out of our hands
If you're talking about MJ : he,'s tied to a contract so we could hold out for more
Whether the previous successes will inflate the value of our players I don't know, but I imagine it might have a slight impact in that interested clubs will know that they would be buying well-prepared players with a good character.
What do you think?
His value depends to a large degree on what his recently signed contract states. Im suspecting there is a release clause similar to Stockley therefore our ability to negotiate isn't then a factor. Of course in the negotiations between players agent and club there would be a big variation as the player wants a release clause as low as possible and the club as high as possible before compromise is reached. Given the club would have been very keen to tie MJ down to a new deal I wouldn't be surprised if there is a clause that it isn't as high as we would like it to be? Let's hope no clause exists and he decides to stay

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jay has had an excellent season however imho he isn't a player who would set league 1 alight let alone prosper in the championship.

I imagine any bids will be in the 250k - 500k bracket, whether they are worth accepting is another question.

Clubs will be looking at him simply because of his record during 2020 - 2021.

Jay carries a lot less value than Randall (for example) as Randall has the attributes to go to a much higher level.

Boyo

Let's hope no clause exists and he decides to stay
Release clauses can be beneficial to the selling club as well. It sets a minimum amount and does not allow clubs to make "cheeky" offers to unsettle players.

andrew p long

So where is the evidence or source that any club has expressed an interest in signing Matt Jay?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Release clauses can be beneficial to the selling club as well. It sets a minimum amount and does not allow clubs to make "cheeky" offers to unsettle players.
True Boyo but given he is in contract cheeky bids will be dismissed out of hand the problem is if the release clause is too beneficial to the player e.g. £150k

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
So where is the evidence or source that any club has expressed an interest in signing Matt Jay?
evidence doesn't arise until the last throws of any deal. Matt Taylor is talking to dozens of agents simultaneously for buying and selling purposes. Some come through some dont but clubs dont advertise what's going on but people talk

grecIAN Harris

No it doesn't. This was his first season as a first choice player. Up until now he has been an under used squad player.