• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
And even Blair yesterday admitted to his old mate Campbell, that he is frightened to say anything about social issues or try or make a joke due to the pile in from the left that follows.

I also note the Tories won 70% of the PCC elections last week.
I was interested in that interview and saw it online last night, He was right about that, How as a nation has it come to that? I also looked at tho PCC results and was a bit surprised, That the % towards the Tory PCC's were that high.

tavyred

Left wing politics is viewed by a large part of the population now as miserablist and at times thoroughly nasty. Labour has to find a compelling and optimistic message in order to survive IMO.

DB9

Left wing politics is viewed by a large part of the population now as miserablist and at times thoroughly nasty. Labour has to find a compelling and optimistic message in order to survive IMO.
Maybe they should look how New Labour did things, Not go back whole heartily to that era in Politics and just copy what they did but tweak it for the UK in the 21st Century?

IndoMike

In general more people go onto Uni, Wages in certain trades have improved vastly, More people (Pre Covid) go abroad for holidays, Access to technology is far better and easier, I have no idea why but the amount of housing being built, People are buying them, New builds or not, Houses and estates don't ly empty I'm not saying everyone's lives have all done the above but they are things people care about.
All of those examples are simply natural developments. Salaries go up in line with the cost of living. Don't believe the rate of house building has increased over the last 10 years. Technological development is a natural progression. The bloke who invented the wheel didn't need a Tory Govt behind him.
To be honest, you made a sweeping claim but have not backed it up with any data.
Considering the UK has undergone 10 years of austerity I find it extremely hard to accept that the lot of Joe Public has improved at all.

IndoMike

Spot on.
The Tories current recipe for electoral success.....lean left on economics, lean right on culture.
Just an opinion. Just a meaningless trope. A Tory slogan. Empty words. Etonian claptrap.

IndoMike

Since you say the Tories are so popular, what percentage of the electorate voted for the Tory candidate in Hartlepool? Can you tell me?

tonykellowfan

I see you conveniently ignored my post about the unempolyment rate.

DB9

All of those examples are simply natural developments. Salaries go up in line with the cost of living. Don't believe the rate of house building has increased over the last 10 years. Technological development is a natural progression. The bloke who invented the wheel didn't need a Tory Govt behind him.
To be honest, you made a sweeping claim but have not backed it up with any data.
Considering the UK has undergone 10 years of austerity I find it extremely hard to accept that the lot of Joe Public has improved at all.
Then I can't put anymore to you, For me I see these things that have improved but if you don't see it then we'll agree to disagree, The average Joe Public in the UK, Their lives have improved as far as I can see. Wages have gone up, Self employment has gone up, Further Education has gone up, Home ownership has gone up, These things are what people do from day to day, There are lots of inequality in those areas too and have to be improved and that does start in the home as well as getting a nudge up from local or national Governments.

IndoMike

Just as an aside Mike, when was the last time you visited old Blighty?
January 2016. Got in 3 City matches :
Wycombe 4-2 Crewe 4-0 and one other - I forget - was a 0-0 draw. Bloody freezing weather..

tavyred

Since you say the Tories are so popular, what percentage of the electorate voted for the Tory candidate in Hartlepool? Can you tell me?
More than enough? 🤷🏼‍♂️
I could do your job and look, but to be honest CBA.
Are you making the point that says when you add the votes of those who voted for someone else together with those who didn’t vote at all, the nasty Tories aren’t that popular? 🙄