• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Barrow AFC Match Day Thread

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
No it's not, it's knee jerk reaction. If it wasn't, opinions would be measured and acknowledgeable of the good things the side has done. You've only got to read JayPob's post as an example. Teams that are s4it don't top the table during the season, don't score the amount of goals we have this season, don't end up with the third best goal difference in the division. It is fair to say we have lost our way at the back third if the season and that has cost us. For me, Matt has to take responsibility for the mismanagement of central midfield which in my mind was a major factor in our downfall. He didn't replace the creativity lost when Nicky Law went and he didn't rotate the midfield enough to allow Taylor and Collins chance to recharge and go again. Both have been playing on empty both physically and mentally for the last month, six weeks.
There is plenty there to build with as much as there are things that need improving in the squad.
You aren’t in a position to judge what others are basing their opinions on particularly when it is on something as subjective as football.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
You aren’t in a position to judge what others are basing their opinions on particularly when it is on something as subjective as football.
I think you can. We've missed out on the play offs/promotion after poor final couple of months to the season culminating in a not particularly good performance today. Fans are disappointed, and rightly so, but many have short term memories. If this season had happened in reverse do you think there would be this amount of uproar? Of course there wouldn't. It's a knee jerk reaction. When the dust settles and people start reviewing with a bit more clarity there will be a different train of thought.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think you can. We've missed out on the play offs/promotion after poor final couple of months to the season culminating in a not particularly good performance today. Fans are disappointed, and rightly so, but many have short term memories. If this season had happened in reverse do you think there would be this amount of uproar? Of course there wouldn't. It's a knee jerk reaction. When the dust settles and people start reviewing with a bit more clarity there will be a different train of thought.
I have some sympathy with this view. You are only as bad as your last game in the eyes of many football fans.

Banksy

I was thinking the same, Banksy. I remember commenting at the time that MT seemed desperate to convince the fans and maybe himself that next season would be better. He certainly said we were gonna bring in quality players and implied that we had the money to do it.
The trouble is that now Mike he has buoyed up expectations with that statement.Folk are thinking ,oh well , we dipped out but never mind , now we really go for it and this time autos. People won’t be so forgiving next season I would guess , we’ve had too many always the bridesmaid seasons lately , we shake hands politely and say good luck Blackpool and company but you deserved it didn’t you , after all we are little old Exeter who everyone know and love.
We need some bite and fast , got to learn how to kick the likes of Barrow and Morecambe up the arse , anyone would think they were Barcelona.

Topsham Boy

His record / performances in 2021 haven't been.
My view is that playing balls into a lone target man to hold and then lay off has not worked well enough this season. We’ve resorted to hoof ball too often.
We need to change our system.

Red Devon

My view is that playing balls into a lone target man to hold and then lay off has not worked well enough this season. We’ve resorted to hoof ball too often.
We need to change our system.
Bowman not technically good enough to play the roll effectively...I hope MT will move away from this approach and try and find some strikers who can work as a pairing together.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Probably not, but in that scenario the trend would show that our form was improving and would stand the team in good stead going forward to next season.

Instead the form has dropped off markedly and the inconsistency has remained culminating in a worse position at the end of the season than last year.

crocks

The problem has been how to play against teams that are aggressive and in the face of our players. The strong forceful sides like Barrow. When City come up against a team that actually play football, then they do a lot better.

Yes , that would be a nice bonus.Would be pleased for them
Yes , that would be a nice bonus.Would be pleased for them too.

And we get to play Bristol Rovers too! Some nice 'Awaydays' ahead if we're allowed into grounds. Let's start looking ahead.....it's been weird and surreal year!

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman not technically good enough to play the roll effectively...I hope MT will move away from this approach and try and find some strikers who can work as a pairing together.
He is lacking in finesse agreed but the dilemma though is the alternative. The more 'complete' player you could argue is Henderson of Salford he has scored 3 more than Ryan but you look at his stats they are broadly identical (1 in 3) over past two seasons though he has been doing it at L1 level as well. The dilemma though is can we attract someone like Henderson. I use him as an example but clearly having left Rochdale Salford meant he didnt need to uproot. He is probably on three times the salary of Bowman though. You could point to Quigley but he had nothing on his CV until last season having failed everywhere else up to Barrow