• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Barrow AFC Match Day Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Did you see how sh!t we played today? In fact, for most of the season?
We've not ben very good for most of the back half of the season. To say we've been s4it most of the season is nonsense.

IndoMike

Two months ago I said Bowman can't head, can't dribble, is not technically good, can't shoot, can't anticipate, isn't determined enough to get to the ball in the box, but tries hard. The Bowman fanatics jumped down my throat, but tell me where I am wrong. We need better if we are to be serious contenders, and we need two of them.
But, all the blame can't be aimed at Bowman. There are many other reasons and mitigating circumstances, starting with the disastrous signing of Ajose and continuing with transfer gossip including Williams and Randall, injuries, limited squad.
Somehow I felt this squad were not quite right mentally. The inconsistency was sometimes difficult to comprehend
The fact is thought that MT had to release several players (I would have kept A Martin and Dickenson) and didn't add anyone of note in January
I would give MT one more season and the funds needed to get two or three quality players in. But it MUST be autos or bye bye next season.
One more thing, and this is speculation, I'd like MT to loosen up a bit. He comes across as a bit humourless and serious. Maybe he's not like that around the team, so forgive me if I'm wrong.
Finally, many of us have said he needs an old hand to guide and help him. Tis had his SP and Matt had wotsisname at the start of his first season.

denzil

Seymour put in the best cross of the game, that Bowman should have scored from. Not to blame today
No the glancing header that took the ball away from Bowman :)

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Said it all before, not good enough on the field because we’re not good enough off the field. Sort management and coaching before spending on players please.
Given what MT and the coaches had to deal with this season, I am happy for them to take us on next season. Of course, this season has been frustrating, particularly in the latter stages of the season. However, I suspect that a top half finish, was all that was expected of him and his players this season. In reality, the group has shown they are probably capable of a little more than that so strengthen in the summer and we have a good chance of moving forward next season.

The temptation after a season like this, is to look at things negatively, when in reality, there is much to be pleased with. Here's to a new season with fans in attendance, and hopefully we will have something to smile about at the end of it :).

Yes I agree keep some of the young uns. Key has done well, as has Hartridge and Randall. The rest can feck off and that includes Sparkes and Collins.
f@ck me this typifies the rubbish spouted on here,

release the whole team, sack the manager, we are shit, get a grip

Banksy

Hopefully we get to play Torquay next year ! 😜
Yes , that would be a nice bonus.Would be pleased for them too.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
f@ck me this typifies the rubbish spouted on here,

release the whole team, sack the manager, we are ****, get a grip
Tend to agree with you. Why would anybody want Collins and Sparks to leave? There are dozens of clubs that would snap them up. You win as a team and you lose as a team. I think Collins is an important player for us and I suspect we would miss him if he left. Would cost a fair whack to replace too.

milts

Tend to agree with you. Why would anybody want Collins and Sparks to leave? There are dozens of clubs that would snap them up. You win as a team and you lose as a team. I think Collins is an important player for us and I suspect we would miss him if he left. Would cost a fair whack to replace too.
Agreed but not sure there would be many clubs lining up for Sparkes. Terrible season from him.

iscalad

And you are happy with the way we play football? Please, please tell me you aren't
Didn't someone start a thread about how entertaining a team we are?
Am I happy with the best we play? Sometimes yes sometimes no. Fact of life in over 50 years of watching City.

jrg333

Given what MT and the coaches had to deal with this season, I am happy for them to take us on next season. Of course, this season has been frustrating, particularly in the latter stages of the season. However, I suspect that a top half finish, was all that was expected of him and his players this season. In reality, the group has shown they are probably capable of a little more than that so strengthen in the summer and we have a good chance of moving forward next season.

The temptation after a season like this, is to look at things negatively, when in reality, there is much to be pleased with. Here's to a new season with fans in attendance, and hopefully we will have something to smile about at the end of it :).
Appreciate your optimism but why would 'top half finish' have been the aim this season? It's worse than our finish last season and on top of that we have had a Watkins windfall like very few clubs in the history of league two. I can't understand why we'd lower our expectations this season. We retained our key players and we had a massive, massive financial boost that the other 23 clubs in the league could only dream of...