• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
That’s just nature of politics I suppose.
It just goes to show the importance of gaining power, traditional Labour areas are being wined and dined by a Tory Government and there is nothing Labour can do about it.
Indeed. Yet another reason I'm perplexed by everyone thinking Labour losing Hartlepool would be a shock.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indeed. Yet another reason I'm perplexed by everyone thinking Labour losing Hartlepool would be a shock.
The lack of a precedent will make it a shock if it happens. Plenty of Labourites are convinced that places like Hartlepool voting Tory is a temporary aberration and normal service will be resumed. I recall them saying the same about the Midlands, instead voting Tory became a habit.

DB9

Look at these maps from the 2019 GE, It shows what a job Labour has got on its hands and what they lost, A mighty task.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
France threatening to pull Jersey's plugs in yet another fishing row. Someone needs to politely tell France that Jersey was never in the EU and isn't in the UK.

They still don't get that we have left.

angelic upstart

Look at these maps from the 2019 GE, It shows what a job Labour has got on its hands and what they lost, A mighty task.

If I were a top Labour bod, I'd not want to win the next election. I'd want a period of slow growth and then once the next election in 24, is out the way. Get someone with a personality to take over from SKS and win the subsequent election by default as everyone will be bored of conservative rule by then. Have a couple years in power, then have 15 years of Tory rule. Repeat ad infinitum.

Then people wonder why so many are disillusioned...

DB9

If I were a top Labour bod, I'd not want to win the next election. I'd want a period of slow growth and then once the next election in 24, is out the way. Get someone with a personality to take over from SKS and win the subsequent election by default as everyone will be bored of conservative rule by then. Have a couple years in power, then have 15 years of Tory rule. Repeat ad infinitum.

Then people wonder why so many are disillusioned...
Labour has lost Scotland and at the moment it's "Heartland" or "Red Wall" It seems by looking at that map they have genuinely become the Party for Metropolitan areas, Plus a bit of Wales, The Tories by contrast have a "Blue Swathe" across England, A bit of Wales and a couple seats in Scotland, I don't count NI as in my lifetime I've never seen an MP from either of the three main parties hold a seat there.

angelic upstart

I simply hate two party politics DB. Both parties are largely useless and don't stand for anything people want. Neither of them have the ******** to do anything out of the ordinary despite the world changing massively in the last 20 years bumbling about avoiding all the massive elephants in the room. I'm not saying they have to be massively radical, but they do need to acknowledge the coming changes and be honest about it. But they won't, until it's too late.

As a nation, we've a crumbling infrastructure, we rely on hugely low interest rates to prop up our soon to be ailing stock exchange. Everything has been sold off to the highest bidder barring the NHS and we continue with this cycle of voting the same two parties in power so they can continue this. I find it very strange.

Edited to add the words bunch of arse, which will no doubt not make it through the swear filter.

DB9

I simply hate two party politics DB. Both parties are largely useless and don't stand for anything people want. Neither of them have the ******** to do anything out of the ordinary despite the world changing massively in the last 20 years bumbling about avoiding all the massive elephants in the room. I'm not saying they have to be massively radical, but they do need to acknowledge the coming changes and be honest about it. But they won't, until it's too late.

As a nation, we've a crumbling infrastructure, we rely on hugely low interest rates to prop up our soon to be ailing stock exchange. Everything has been sold off to the highest bidder barring the NHS and we continue with this cycle of voting the same two parties in power so they can continue this. I find it very strange.

Edited to add the words bunch of arse, which will no doubt not make it through the swear filter.
You sound like me, Politically homeless, No one speaks to me, My concerns and my families concerns, We have the most duplicous Government ever with weakest Opposition, Both ruled by big business and Unions, Tories have never spoken up for me (IMHO) and now Labour, Instead of acknowledging their defeat in 2019, They still have their heads buried in the sand and the worst thing is they talk down to people, They insist they know our problems, They like to keep us as "Victims" it suits their agenda (Again IMHO) I'm not saying anything about the LD's because they are an irrelevance at the moment. It is a very sad state of affairs.

angelic upstart

There's so much more to offer the fine people of our great nation.

Alistair20000

Labour’s own internal polling suggesting a heavy defeat in Hartlepool.

If correct the Jinxster and myself will have got this one badly wrong.

Labour now 5/1 to win with the Bookies.

Quite remarkable.