• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bolton Wanderers v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
We've all complained at times about Exeter being too defensive and having every player back for corners yet Bolton went to the opposite extreme and left two players upfield to defend this free-kick in the last minute of the game. The inevitable result was that there are 5 Bolton players and the keeper in the box to defend against Exeter's 7 and Pierce is left unmarked.
View attachment 5925
Probably in hopes of a breakaway winner if the corner had been defended with Joküll up for us.

Pobbop

Probably in hopes of a breakaway winner if the corner had been defended with Joküll up for us.
A draw wouldn't have gained them promotion a win would, could be screwed if Morecambe draw and they lose in the final match, but despite that small chance, they probably were right to still think of the winner.

They still had 9 in the box compared to our 7, should have done better. The Bolton guy on the backpost is marking no-one when maybe he should have been marking Pierce.

Last edited:

cambmike

Williams seemed to get his Mojo back in the second half, MJ should have let him have a go at that free kick on the edge of the box near the end he looked like he really fancied it.
Williams totally committed in the 2nd half including defensive duties. Still not fully got his touch back on the wing but totally agree he threaded his goal like Harley against Torquay.

andrew p long

Its a great image posted by SEA Grecian...two teams both going for it. Us with our keeper up, them keeping (if I've got this right) two players up near the half way line, against just one City defender and no one in goal! I'd love to see a photo of the half way line too!

Alistair20000

Its a great image posted by SEA Grecian...two teams both going for it. Us with our keeper up, them keeping (if I've got this right) two players up near the half way line, against just one City defender and no one in goal! I'd love to see a photo of the half way line too!
Me too. Who did we have back ? His orders would have to have been to take both Bolton players out if the ball came near.

grecIAN Harris

Me too. Who did we have back ? His orders would have to have been to take both Bolton players out if the ball came near.
Probably our quickest player on the pitch at the time in Jake Caprice.

DawlishBouy

We've all complained at times about Exeter being too defensive and having every player back for corners yet Bolton went to the opposite extreme and left two players upfield to defend this free-kick in the last minute of the game. The inevitable result was that there are 5 Bolton players and the keeper in the box to defend against Exeter's 7 and Pierce is left unmarked.
View attachment 5925

DawlishBouy

When Jökull came up Bolton started thinking about how they could get a breakaway goal and forgot they had a free kick to defend first.

Ex-ciderrr

Youtube Highlights:

:LOL: Sweeney 54 seconds in telling the ref it’s a fecking corner!

iscalad