• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Fisher is the new signing (to Newport)

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman's finishing is often woeful, he gets picked for his work rate and pressing, which he doesn't seem motivated to use recently. Bowman without his work rate is a passenger who offers very little.

In my opinion, we haven't seen Fisher enough in a city shirt to decide who is the better player. However his goals per minute ratio this season is the best out of our strikers. 🤷‍♂️
Good assessment.

Grecianpasty

Bowman's finishing is often woeful, he gets picked for his work rate and pressing, which he doesn't seem motivated to use recently. Bowman without his work rate is a passenger who offers very little.

In my opinion, we haven't seen Fisher enough in a city shirt to decide who is the better player. However his goals per minute ratio this season is the best out of our strikers. 🤷‍♂️
Yes Bowmans finishing is suspect at times. Thankfully though with his goal ratio both this and last year its only a minor issue. Particularly as you say he works so hard for the team. That's the ultimate difference between the two really. Both like for like players. Ones been given his opportunity and taken it, the other hasn't.

I'll admit that when Fisher signed for us I, like many others, was uninspired by the signing. He has been unfortunate this season that the combination of Bowman and Jay has worked so well for us, leaving him to have little opportunities.

However, I don't agree that he is near the level of Bowman, although I respect your opinion. The proof in the pudding will be where both men end up at the end of the season. If not at city, I could see Bowman at a league one team and Fisher Conference.

thermopylai

Fish seems a genuinely nice bloke, and seems to have an excellent attitude considering the lack of playing time.

Looked useful last night and hope he gets a chance over the last five (!) games of the season.

jimbo-gould

Yesterday’s game was the first time I’ve ever seen Fisher impact a game where it stands out that he’s putting absolutely everything into it.

Must have an attitude problem like Williams if he can’t be bothered to do it in other games he’s played ;)

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nope. I don't think Seymour is offering much at all.

If between now and then end of the season Fisher was put on ahead of Seymour I wouldn't complain.
Ben's movement and positioning in the build-up to the first goal was spot-on and if the defender hadn't intervened there is every chance we'd be talking about what a well-taken poacher's goal Ben had scored.

Topsham Boy

Fisher….no.
Seymour….no.

Sorry, these guys are not going to get us promoted. That’s the yardstick.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Topsham Boy,

Is Bowman going to get us promoted ?

Topsham Boy

Topsham Boy,

Is Bowman going to get us promoted ?
Good question.
I personally don’t like the long ball up to Bowman approach we have used too often this season.
He wouldn’t be my lead striker ( we need to recruit 1 or maybe 2 new strikers which we need to spend some money on ) but would keep him in the squad as a sub to bring on
around the 60th minute to go at tiring opposition defences.

tonykellowfan

Hitting long balls up to the forwards has not worked for us at any time this season.

We seem to be at our best when we can build an attack either down the flanks or with good passing through the midfield around the opponents box.

If we can do that consistently, Bowman has shown that he most definitely is good enough to lead our attack operating in this way.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hitting long balls up to the forwards has not worked for us at any time this century.

We seem to be at our best when we can build an attack either down the flanks or with good passing through the midfield around the opponents box.

If we can do that consistently, Bowman has shown that he most definitely is good enough to lead our attack operating in this way.
Amended for factuals