• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Llangollen Heritage Railway...Being liquidated because of the lack of income in the past 12 months.

It’s a wonderful line on the English/Welsh border.
That's a shame. Hope it can be revived. The terminus is in a beautiful setting by the River Dee at Llangollen.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sad news and a lot more of this will follow I am afraid.

There is some mention of talks with a potential buyer.

Colesman Ballz

The Llangollen Heritage Railway...Being liquidated because of the lack of income in the past 12 months.

It’s a wonderful line on the English/Welsh border.
Annoying that a huge amount of taxpayers money has been given to the National Rail franchises(running at about £1m a hour !) that a tiny fraction could not be spared for that line.
Don't write it off just yet. It is basically the operating company only that has been liquidated. Their Trust is solvent, holds the lease for the trackbed from the local Council, and the Light Railway operating order They cannot save the OC from its £850k debts but needs a minimum of £100k and preferably upto £250k to acquire what is necessary to be running trains again this year. Some things will be lost for example the 12 BR Mk1 coaches owned by the OC, which are among items being sold off by the receiver, but the Trust will be able to make do without those.

angelic upstart

Stanchions

Oldsmobile-88

This type of telephone...A white one at my parents house in the hall.
Permission reqd to use it(only after 6pm on cheap rate) usually a minute later with “ Get off the phone” shouted from the lounge 🤣
6CA4FCDC-6ECC-4891-9B2B-BC0709B34C1A.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

This sort of musical line up in our fair city(ads from Oct 1984)

I did not go to the Motörhead gig,saw them at Fiesta Suite in Plymouth 5 years earlier my ears had still not recovered.
Recall seeing Level 42....I always thought that JJ Burnel was king of the Bass.Mark King..Wow.

Evangelist Billy Graham at Pinhoe Rd Baptist Church via Video...Those were the days.
89D9E3E0-69F8-47FA-96CF-51C464B45EB6.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
The Concert Travel Club.That was popular at the time.
I used the coach service a couple of times to go to the Cornwall Colosseum at Carlyon Bay,St Austell.

DB9

This type of telephone...A white one at my parents house in the hall.
Permission reqd to use it(only after 6pm on cheap rate) usually a minute later with “ Get off the phone” shouted from the lounge 🤣
View attachment 5873
My parents had a lock on our phone, It went on the number 1 so we couldn't use it without asking, Also we had a shared line so if our neighbour was on the line we couldn't use it and vice versa, Totally alien to today's youngsters.

Oldsmobile-88

My parents had a lock on our phone, It went on the number 1 so we couldn't use it without asking, Also we had a shared line so if our neighbour was on the line we couldn't use it and vice versa, Totally alien to today's youngsters.
A Party line....I remember working in a house on the Estate at Countess Wear,I had to phone up the depot(giving the householder 4p)They had a Party Line with a couple of neighbours,i ended up inadvertently listening to parts of the neighbours conversation 😁

iscalad

^^^^
The Concert Travel Club.That was popular at the time.
I used the coach service a couple of times to go to the Cornwall Colosseum at Carlyon Bay,St Austell.
Saw Quo a couple of times down there. Awful place to get to.