• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
He has openly stated he's weird, and was the real power behind vote leave.

Personally, I think he's an abrasive character. One that's not suited to government. Has some fantastic ideas and loves his data, which is no bad thing.

What are your thoughts redpaul? Do you think he's making it all up to be mean? Or is he right?
It's easy to snipe, at the other side. Not so easy to provide an opinion though?
I can imagine Cummings as a sadistic prison governor, a la Bird Man of Alcatraz

IndoMike

Nah. Blair was a serial peddler of whoppers but yes he made Labour electable.

For all his faults the Broon was in my view a much more principled and honourable man.

Sunny Jim never won an election though.
Brown's fatal mistake was his hesitancy about calling for an election. The Tory boys tore him to shreds over that.

tavyred

Then you should feel heartened art that the same fate will befall Boris as happened to Trump.
On your subsequent post, it’s going to be interesting to see in a post Boris era, whether the voters who were happy to vote Tory in 2019 will hang around next time around. There is significant rump of the Tory Party, the likes of Gauke, Grieve and Hammond who are convinced that a return to a more ‘sensible’ leadership model with a tradition Home Counties leader (like Cameron and May) will have the same cut through as Boris did in those hard to reach areas. I not so sure.
I remember how ****-a-hoop that wing of the party was when TM got in ahead of the Brexiteers in 2016. They made the mistake of not reading the room (electorally) then, I wouldn’t put it past them next time round either. Some stuffed shirt Surrey Tory as leader will not cut the mustard up North.
My left field prediction for the next Tory leader is Kemi Badenoch.
The stale and pale, knight of the realm from Islington wouldn’t stand a chance in 2023. 😀

IndoMike

Quite amazing that Exeweb's Tory boys have suddenly come to the realization that Johnson is a dishonest chancer.
I thought that was common knowledge years ago.
The question is how do we get him and his coterie of dodgy dealers out of harm's way. Hopefully it will gradually sink in
like it has on Exeweb that the people have been sold a kipper, in more ways than one. The age of the populists is dying.

Grecian2K

Dominic Grieve (who, of course, has no axe to grind) joins in the fun by describing BJ as a "vacuum of integrity".
That sounds like a perfect marketing slogan:
Dyson - the vacuum of integrity.

tavyred

Quite amazing that Exeweb's Tory boys have suddenly come to the realization that Johnson is a dishonest chancer.
The question is how do we get him and his coterie of dodgy dealers out of harm's way. Hopefully it will gradually sink in
like it has on Exeweb that the people have been sold a kipper, in more ways than one. The age of the populists is dying.
I hope someone from my old alma mater is not referring to me in that post Indo.
I’m happy with Boris and hope he stays for the foreseeable.
In a conversation about the possibility of Boris going, I was merely joining in and spitballing like everyone else.

IndoMike

I hope someone from my old alma mater is not referring to me in that post Indo.
I’m happy with Boris and hope he stays for the foreseeable.
In a conversation about the possibility of Boris going, I was merely joining in and spitballing like everyone else.
You mean you haven't come to that realization?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not in Scotland it isn't.

IndoMike

Not in Scotland it isn't.
Are you referring to Johnson, the SNP, or the Scottish fishing industry ..?

arthur

Then you should feel heartened art that the same fate will befall Boris as happened to Trump.
I am disheartened by the fact that if it wasn't for Covid, Trump might well have prevailed. But I am heartened that safe boring centrist dad sleepy Joe Biden is proving surprisingly radical once in office.

I can't be heartened by the huge death rate in India, but the silver lining might be that the appalling Modi suffers the same fate as Trump. Ditto Balsanaro.

I am disheartened by the fact that we can't seem to get rid of populist demagogues without the help of Covid. As you never miss an opportunity to gleefully point out, the traditional left has had its day in this country, just as it has in much of Europe. While the left of centre ground reconfigures itself, the populist ideologues can a carry on wreaking havoc unimpeded. This is the tragedy of our age and future generations will look back on this age of institutional stupidity and unpleasantness with incredulity....