• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2021

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the Cricinfo "commentary" where it says "Gregory to Toby" rather than "Gregory to Roland-Jones"

Maybe confused with a bloke called Mike (surname) playing for Leics :)

sign of the chimes

Loving the Cricinfo "commentary" where it says "Gregory to Toby" rather than "Gregory to Roland-Jones"

Maybe confused with a bloke called Mike (surname) playing for Leics :)
The Leicestershire bowling attack has been very ordinary. At the risk of cursing Vince, he's been an absolute joy to watch this afternoon; so easy on the eye.

Alistair20000

The Leicestershire bowling attack has been very ordinary. At the risk of cursing Vince, he's been an absolute joy to watch this afternoon; so easy on the eye.
I think you are being too complimentary about the Leicestershire bowling attack :)

It used to be said that James Vince looked more like Michael Vaughan than anyone else and I would not disagree with that. His offside strokes are sublime although he tends to slap too many to cover getting caught in the T20 gig and nicks off regularly against high quality pace bowling in the red ball game.

sign of the chimes

I think you are being too complimentary about the Leicestershire bowling attack :)

It used to be said that James Vince looked more like Michael Vaughan than anyone else and I would not disagree with that. His offside strokes are sublime although he tends to slap too many to cover getting caught in the T20 gig and nicks off regularly against high quality pace bowling in the red ball game.
Absolutely re. Vince - hence my qualifier about the quality (or lack thereof) of the Leicestershire attack. They've even managed to make it look as though Liam Dawson is in some sort of nick in the last hour or so. The online video coverage has been quite good this afternoon - much better than when I last tried it out, pre-pandemic.

Alistair20000

Absolutely re. Vince - hence my qualifier about the quality (or lack thereof) of the Leicestershire attack. They've even managed to make it look as though Liam Dawson is in some sort of nick in the last hour or so. The online video coverage has been quite good this afternoon - much better than when I last tried it out, pre-pandemic.
I noticed that Daws has been bashing fours around which is not really his style.

If it is not impertinent to enquire: do you watch Hants at the Ageas/Rose Bowl ?

Alistair20000

Only Derbyshire bowled out today. Would have expected more wickets for an early April first day,

Turning to Group 2:

Cidermen probably all square with Middlesex on 293-8 ?

Hants well on top at Leicester.

Not sure how good Surrey's 220-9 is at Bristol. It may be a bit better than RP fears.

sign of the chimes

I noticed that Daws has been bashing fours around which is not really his style.

If it is not impertinent to enquire: do you watch Hants at the Ageas/Rose Bowl ?
Not impertinent at all. I usually get up to the Ageas for the odd day of first-class cricket each summer - were it not for work/other aspects of life I'd be a much more regular attender and a much closer follower of the county game. As it is I tend to have to make do with the BBC radio commentary online via Solent, and complement that with written bits and bobs for domestic stuff. CricInfo is also a bit of a godsend.

I've some time off this week, had completed all the life admin I needed to get out of the way by lunchtime today, so the free video feed was too good an opportunity to pass up.

You really seem to know your (Graham) onions when it comes to the county stuff. Are you a member at Somerset?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only Derbyshire bowled out today. Would have expected more wickets for an early April first day,

Turning to Group 2:

Cidermen probably all square with Middlesex on 293-8 ?

Hants well on top at Leicester.

Not sure how good Surrey's 220-9 is at Bristol. It may be a bit better than RP fears.
220-9 is bilge against a lower Div 2 (in old money) attack. Surrey's Top 5 are all test players and they rely on some long handle from Jamie Overton to get a single batting point. But for rain, they'd have been all out today.

Alistair20000

Not impertinent at all. I usually get up to the Ageas for the odd day of first-class cricket each summer - were it not for work/other aspects of life I'd be a much more regular attender and a much closer follower of the county game. As it is I tend to have to make do with the BBC radio commentary online via Solent, and complement that with written bits and bobs for domestic stuff. CricInfo is also a bit of a godsend.

I've some time off this week, had completed all the life admin I needed to get out of the way by lunchtime today, so the free video feed was too good an opportunity to pass up.

You really seem to know your (Graham) onions when it comes to the county stuff. Are you a member at Somerset?
I have memberships at both Hampshire (boyhood attachment when we lived in Dorset) and Somerset (closer geographically). I do some regular work up in Dorchester which I can work in with the night T20's at the Ageas. I try to get to as many T20's and 50 over games of both Clubs as possible but just the odd day or so of red ball stuff due to work commitments. Both great grounds to watch cricket for very different reasons.

Kevan James is an excellent commentator on Solent and a very shrewd observer of the game.

Alistair20000

Group 2 update.

Cidermen deep in the soft and smelly at 39-4 at Lord's and once again it may have to be the bowlers who have to drag them out of it. Hildreth still in though.

Meanwhile at Bristol, Gloucs are tanking along at 5 an over 139-0 against Sorry. The 220 now does indeed look like bilge as RP remarked.

Double century from James Vince at Grace Road. at more than a run a ball as Hants sail past 500. Quite remarkable even against a lightweight Leicester attack.