• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One 20/21

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
In the building for one day, but such a difference. This isn't about the result (as welcome as it was) but the fact you could see the players had been asked to play with intent and think/play forward. Kenny Jackett is/was an honourable guy and I have no question about his unstinting effort to succeed for the club - but over four years he'd incremently managed to suck almost all the joy out of watching us. It may or may not work out with the Cowley brothers (and I know/understand they/their teams have made enemies on their way up), but I've felt more of a connect with them than I did at any point under Jackett - who may well end up gettting a gig with a lower-end Championship club again next and who I'd back to do well for at the right club.

The bottom and top are nuts - similar to the top of your division. Us aside, I'm hoping Hull can last the distance as for the first time ever my 'predict the four league champions' bet is still very much alive at this point of the season. They looked like a good Championship side when they dismantled us back in January.

Peterborough are perennial bottlers but that's usually well underway by this point - so I wonder if they might have some staying power. A little like Bolton in L2, Sunderland have some real momentum, but up until now Lee Johnson has tended to be quite a streaky manager (lots of wins followed by lots of losses). I think Hull will get one of the automatic spots - and probably between the other two I've mentioned for the other. I think any of the top 12 could end up in the Top 6.

At the bottom... crikey. Northampton (despite watching them dismantle us a couple of weeks ago) probably look the most likely. Other than that, it's anyone's guess.
Hoping Northampton can be fast tracked back to League Two 🤞

sign of the chimes

Hoping Northampton can be fast tracked back to League Two 🤞
I'd imagine 'that' play-off match would make you particularly eager to swap places.

Red Devon

I'd imagine 'that' play-off match would make you particularly eager to swap places.
Funny you should say that, I can always remember waving at a coach load of Northampton fans on the motorway when travelling back from Rotherham (Sheffield) the last time we were promoted... they were relegated on the same day 😊

Red Devon

Still no idea who’s going to be relegated.

Ex-ciderrr

Still no idea who’s going to be relegated.
nope not at all.

Rovers arent in a good position. (23rd) 2 points adrift and having played at least a game or two more than their relegation rivals (38). Again it’s just about form now being able to put a run together to climb away weather they will or not remains to be seen and 7 defeats in the last 10 isn’t great reading especially when they have played Wigan, Swindon, AFCW, Burton all teams who were or are in and around them. Be nice if we don’t go up to have them in our league next season, local derby good following etc. also midweek would be ideal being an hour away instead of a trip to Grimsby or Oldham midweek :LOL:.

Id like to see AFC Wimbledon stay up but them coming down wouldnt be a bad thing as I’d quite like to visit the new ground back at Plough Lane.

overall it’s going to be an interesting scrap at the bottom end of league 1 for the remainder of this season.

Red Devon

nope not at all.

Rovers arent in a good position. (23rd) 2 points adrift and having played at least a game or two more than their relegation rivals (38). Again it’s just about form now being able to put a run together to climb away weather they will or not remains to be seen and 7 defeats in the last 10 isn’t great reading especially when they have played Wigan, Swindon, AFCW, Burton all teams who were or are in and around them. Be nice if we don’t go up to have them in our league next season, local derby good following etc. also midweek would be ideal being an hour away instead of a trip to Grimsby or Oldham midweek :LOL:.

Id like to see AFC Wimbledon stay up but them coming down wouldnt be a bad thing as I’d quite like to visit the new ground back at Plough Lane.

overall it’s going to be an interesting scrap at the bottom end of league 1 for the remainder of this season.
At the moment most of the teams are one win away from safety or one win away from doom, it’s been like that for six weeks or so now 😬

Red Devon

At the moment most of the teams are one win away from safety or one win away from doom, it’s been like that for six weeks or so now 😬
Meant one defeat from doom lol

dontpassback

Rovers looked doomed and so do Rochdale,I would hope swindon and Northampton join them but it’s not over yet

sign of the chimes

Rovers looked doomed and so do Rochdale,I would hope swindon and Northampton join them but it’s not over yet
They're all winning games here and there. Rovers are the only one to not win in the last five and have lost a few against teams around them of late, but I still wouldn't write them off. It's been a weird season in that in the main the top half looks as you would expect, and so does the bottom; but there's no real pattern to any of it. Rochdale are bonkers - if everyone played as they do football would be properly entertaining.

Alistair20000

What I am hoping for rather depends on where we are next season.