• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager Thread..Appointments & Dismissals

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've been pretty defensive of Bruce, but had last night's game on and it was really flat - it's probably the first time I've seen them and questioned whether the players are actually putting in a shift - and for that to happen in a crunch match against Brighton at the business. Question for me at this point would be who could they bring in to stop the rot enough that they stop up?
You can't stop the rot. It's infested right at the top of the club. Until Ashley goes and the club gets the right treatment, Newcastle are forever going to be in turmoil. Poison challice doesn't even begin to describe what any new manager is going to inherit.

sign of the chimes

You can't stop the rot. It's infested right at the top of the club. Until Ashley goes and the club gets the right treatment, Newcastle are forever going to be in turmoil. Poison challice doesn't even begin to describe what any new manager is going to inherit.
It's a sad state of affairs. The north-east deserves some footballing success and, of course, I can understand why Newcastle fans would want Ashley out. I've not looked closely at their accounts but surely the club must have made him some serious money during his time there - even taking account of their time in the Championship? At which point I guess there's no incentive for him to sell up without some really serious money coming his way?

grecIAN Harris

It's a sad state of affairs. The north-east deserves some footballing success and, of course, I can understand why Newcastle fans would want Ashley out. I've not looked closely at their accounts but surely the club must have made him some serious money during his time there - even taking account of their time in the Championship? At which point I guess there's no incentive for him to sell up without some really serious money coming his way?
You'd think he must have because he invested very little in the squad. If you put that to Ashley, he'd probably say that Newcastle have broken their transfer record twice in the last couple of seasons but that's probably the only time he's put his hand in his pocket and then he's only come up with Almiron (Miggy puts a shift in but always looks like a twelve year old playing with the fifth years in the school yard) and Joelinton (there just aren't the words for him). There have been players available that they should be in for but never look close to getting.

Legohead

Banned
Newcastle simply have too many players that are of Championship quality. Matt Ritchie, Isaac Hayden etc etc. I like Fraser but even he's bombed up there. I know they go on about Newcastle being a sleeping giant but it really is. I've been up there a few times and if that club was doing well, with an entire regime change and a positive, dynamic manager, with those fans in that ground, it would be the best atmosphere in English football without a doubt.

Unfortunately the rot is from the top and everyone always seems to be just going through the motions. From Ashley down to the managers they appoint and the players they sign. Never change until Ashley is gone.

Ex-ciderrr

Richie Wellens sacked by Salford City.

sign of the chimes

Both managers from the 2020 Associate Members Cup Final sacked within 10 days of it being played.

It shall henceforth be known as the curse of Papa John.

sign of the chimes

Red Devon

It‘s a difficult one because clubs who feel they’re in serious danger of relegation should be able to act at a seconds notice, just look at the dismissal of Jolley at Barrow which has been totally justified.

sign of the chimes

It‘s a difficult one because clubs who feel they’re in serious danger of relegation should be able to act at a seconds notice, just look at the dismissal of Jolley at Barrow which has been totally justified.
Definitely. I posted it because it was one of the Salford owners who'd composed the original tweet, in the public domain, in response to a sacking elsewhere and one of his broadcast media colleagues was having a chuckle at his expense which, in turn, made me laugh. FWIW - I think the intent behind Neville's original Tweet is a good one - if it were workable it might sharpen owners' minds before appointing in haste.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Gary Neville in January 2018

The scary thing is that a large % of people now actually support these sackings as they’ve become accustomed to it... How can you build a football team without getting 2-3 years. A rule change is required to moderate sackings of managers mid season in their first year at a club.