• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scunthorpe v City - Build Up & Discussion Thread

Legohead

Banned
Back on the road again for Tuesday's game at Scunthorpe in what i believe is now called the Sands Venue Stadium (Glanford Park) and with the lads looking to kick on from the demolition of Orient at the weekend. I'm disappointed there's no fans for this game as i grew up around the Donny / Scunny area and still have family living about 10 miles from the ground. It's a more than familiar place to me is Scunny. As it is to Rory McArdle, who i've seen score a few goals during his time at the Iron last season. I am presuming it's McArdle and Hartridge to start again at the back in the absence of both Parkes and Sweeney, which could benefit us as McArdle will know Hallam / Eisa / Van Veen well.

We should respect Scunny of course but if we don't 'do a Crawley' and play as we have done in our recent games then i would expect 3 points here. I liked what i saw of Abu Eisa when i watched a bit of Scunny last season and he's definitely a player of quality at this level and is capable of scoring and creating. They also have the big Dutchman Kevin Van Veen who can be hit and miss but has obvious quality on his day.

I'm surprised McGahey is still featuring at the back for Scunny as from what i saw of him in a few Iron appearances last season he looks a sluggish clogger to be kind to him. He can do a job for sure but he's someone that both Jay and Randall can skin alive really if they can get at him. I really don't want to see a physical battle of wills between him and Bowman as i can't imagine that would be either pretty nor effective.

I noticed that McGahey got pulled at H/T against Salford at the weekend so he might be injured? Which would be a positive for us as Scunny don't have the quality needed in back up defensively to be able to deal with our expansive, high tempo approach. Jordan Clarke replacing McGahey last Saturday. An experienced replacement but not an improvement on McGahey IMO.

They have Alex Gillead who on his day can pose significant problems on the wing, supporting Van Veen but he doesn't score nowhere near as many as i think he should. I think if we can stop Gillead and Eisa with supply to Van Veen on that side then it's job done IMO. Eisa is the big danger IMO.

Jordan Hallam joined the club on loan from Sheff U at the beginning of last season and looked promising initially but he only seems to offer industry these days and seems a bit lightweight to me. Also for an attack minded player, his goals record is shocking.

So all in all i think think this game is one which we need to win really going into a far tougher one against Cheltenham on Saturday. I was in the away end to see Matt Jay's excellent daisy cutter that pulled us level at Scunthorpe last season, although it was in vain ultimately as we lost. I'd like to see Jay repeat the feat and the team get the 3 points. This Scunthorpe side are a bit of a rag tag mix and are under the stewardship of boss Neil Cox in his first full season as a stand alone pro football manager so there is lots for us to take advantage of.

I do believe that if we repeat the recent performances then it's 3 points in the bag, but we all know that this level of football doesn't always give you what you expect. Can see an open game and lots of goals actually so i'm going 3-1 to us. The key being stopping the likes of Eisa and Gillead and the supply to Van Veen. Don't need to worry about Hallam et al IMO.

Watching this on ifollow again and looking forward to it. COYR!!

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think this might be a 1-1 draw

Legohead

Banned
I did a thread about an hour ago Ali. Beat you to it! ;)(y)

Alistair20000

I did a thread about an hour ago Ali. Beat you to it! ;)(y)
Sorry Lego.

Did not spot it.

Red Devon

We need to play a high tempo as much as possible otherwise we could be in for a long night. I heard MT mention he would pick a “sensible“ team for Tuesday which I found a little unsettling after yesterday’s dominant performance...as few changes as possible maybe Caprice for Key but would be really disappointed to see Page make way for Sparkes.

Legohead

Banned
No need to pick a 'sensible' team. The team that was out there v Orient was the best team we have available at the moment and thus they should be the 11 that start against Scunthorpe. Confidence will be high and a degree of understanding of how they all play together is being cemented. To disrupt this and drop further points by tinkering needlessly means we lose more ground on those above us and then it becomes counter productive to do so.

Play your best side, if all fit and if that's not good enough to beat Scunny then fair enough. TBH i don't really see how many changes could be made anyway as the bench on Saturday was pretty desperate. Ok there is Jordan Dyer who isn't up to this game yet and needs more experience. Atangana is an option but not happy with him starting either and that leaves Sparkes and Caprice which would be reasonable replacements i guess. Fisher is not to play for us again and only bring Seymour on either as a last resort or if we are comfortably ahead.

In 3 of the last 4 games we've played high tempo, energetic football and won 2 and should have beat Walsall. The only game we were dire in was Crawley where we did not play as we should have done. It does take it out of the players having to expend all this energy, which is why i was amazed that Matty left Jay on and also left Randall on until the 83rd minute when the game was already won. I found that bizarre. However, we can't afford to lose any more ground in the league.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

1-1 draw

Jake Taylor for us. Massive shift from Ryan Bowman but no cigar.

Jay misses a pen, Big Nige comes on as sub and is sent off after 5 minutes.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Two build up threads worked a treat last time.

IndoMike

Two build up threads worked a treat last time.
Good point

Red Devon

No need to pick a 'sensible' team. The team that was out there v Orient was the best team we have available at the moment and thus they should be the 11 that start against Scunthorpe. Confidence will be high and a degree of understanding of how they all play together is being cemented. To disrupt this and drop further points by tinkering needlessly means we lose more ground on those above us and then it becomes counter productive to do so.

Play your best side, if all fit and if that's not good enough to beat Scunny then fair enough. TBH i don't really see how many changes could be made anyway as the bench on Saturday was pretty desperate. Ok there is Jordan Dyer who isn't up to this game yet and needs more experience. Atangana is an option but not happy with him starting either and that leaves Sparkes and Caprice which would be reasonable replacements i guess. Fisher is not to play for us again and only bring Seymour on either as a last resort or if we are comfortably ahead.

In 3 of the last 4 games we've played high tempo, energetic football and won 2 and should have beat Walsall. The only game we were dire in was Crawley where we did not play as we should have done. It does take it out of the players having to expend all this energy, which is why i was amazed that Matty left Jay on and also left Randall on until the 83rd minute when the game was already won. I found that bizarre. However, we can't afford to lose any more ground in the league.
I’m hoping Matt will pick the strongest available lineup for Scunthorpe and have real good go at claiming the 3 points, to rest players with an eye on Cheltenham could be a costly strategy as it’s by no means certain we will beat Cheltenham even with our strongest team.