• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Pobbop

Love Matt Jay, really happy he got an hat-trick, but was it one of the worst hat-tricks of all time?

Have to say though, really hard to judge what he'll be worth, once all this is over, most lower-league clubs won't have serious cash to splash, and he's not really good enough for top divisions.

Hope he stays with us and becomes a legend.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Difficult to put a price on MJ. His lack of height doesn’t seem to inhibit him in any way whatsoever, but it might deter clubs higher up the pyramid. Fortunately, we’re not in a position where we need to sell, so, as things stand, this isn’t an issue.

Indeed, perhaps MJ will become a one-club man, a la James Coppinger at Doncaster, and go on to play for us across the divisions. Who knows, in 15 years‘ time perhaps we’ll be turning out in a special commemorative third kit designed by Matt to commemorate his two decades at the club!
The player to maybe compare him to stature wise is Sammie Szmodics who is now L1 with Peterborough and doing well after a £1m transfer. Not sure how much Bristol City paid out for him the year before from Colchester. Szmodics has probably got more pace than MJ so it would be a ceiling of kind for a comparison.

But it could easily be a case that MJ's value to City is more than other interested clubs might be willing to part with.

tonykellowfan

I think MJ is the sort of player that would improve with better players around him. He has shown great play and goals this season in the role behind the striker and I think that would interest a lot of clubs.

IndoMike

I just can't see Matt Jay at another club. He waited quite a long time to establish himself at City - just can't imagine him leaving somehow.

scottus86

I get the feeling that Jay isn't that interested in leaving city. He could easily become our focal point over the next few seasons, and perhaps we would be better selling the club and its destiny to him.

grecIAN Harris

The player to maybe compare him to stature wise is Sammie Szmodics who is now L1 with Peterborough and doing well after a £1m transfer. Not sure how much Bristol City paid out for him the year before from Colchester. Szmodics has probably got more pace than MJ so it would be a ceiling of kind for a comparison.

But it could easily be a case that MJ's value to City is more than other interested clubs might be willing to part with.
You could also compare him to Erhan Otzumer who played for Walsall. He was brilliant for them because they knew how to get the best from him whereas he has never really settled anywhere else with the most amount games he played elsewhere in a season was 30 at Peterborough. I'd sooner Jay stayed here than end up like Otzumer.

Alistair20000

Lots of chatter but no valuations suggested following Chap’s request.

I will open up the bidding: £250,000 to £300,000 plus the usual add ons.

Not saying we should sell for this mind.

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You could also compare him to Erhan Otzumer who played for Walsall. He was brilliant for them because they knew how to get the best from him whereas he has never really settled anywhere else with the most amount games he played elsewhere in a season was 30 at Peterborough. I'd sooner Jay stayed here than end up like Otzumer.
Dare I mention Ryan Harley. MJ isn't in the class of Ryan at his best but he's another example of a player who never proved himself at a higher level.

andrew p long

is the right answer...

ECFC89

Matt Jay recently had an interview in the Football League Paper in which he said he wished to emulate Watkins, and move up the leagues. Obviously nearly all players wish to achieve that, but I think if anyone from League 1 comes calling he would seriously consider it. Think he is a very driven individual.