• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient official match day thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hi again Mike. I'm not trying to be wise after the event but when we went 4-0 up that would have been the ideal time to bring on Kite or Dean or both. We lost a lot of influence in the middle when Nigel came on. He was slow, his first touch was poor and he gave away two free kicks in dangerous positions. The first one Jokul saved but couldn't hold and the second one he tipped over. I honestly believe Will and Harry would have done so much better. The rumour that we have offered Nigel something for next season I find very disappointing. After letting Nicky go I can't believe Matt would consider keeping him. I'm sure he's a lovely guy, but I just can't see what he gives us.
I did say a bit later that if we went three goals up we could bring one or two of the young ones. But my initial comment was about Cox and Hanson in reply to Dr Dave T's post.
So, just to reiterate :
1 For me no problem bringing on the likes of Dean or Dyer if required
2. The very young ones, such as Cox and Hanson, would only come on when the game is sewn up. Plenty of time for them.

About Atangana, I thought he was going to be a bit of a star, but he hasn't stood out. Not really worked out particularly well.

Exehausted

We could field a team now. I am sure there are not many in League Two that could do that. How about a team of:

(GK) Harry Lee
(RB) Josh Key
(RCB) Jordan Dyer
(LCB) Alex Hartridge
(LB) Jack Sparkes
(RCM) Archie Collins
(CM) Matt Jay
(LCM) Harry Kite
(LW) Nelson Iseguan
(ATT) Ben Seymour
(RW) Joel Randall

Not a terrible side that could probably do a job.
My only change to that would be Will Dean instead of Nelson. I still think he could have a big future with us, but he needs a chance.

Legohead

Banned
Is it also true that we have offered Atangana another deal? I believe this would be a mistake. He's a liability.

Grecian2K

Cheatingham & The Vegans both currently winning in the Gloucestershire battle for the (county) title :(

Rosencrantz

My only change to that would be Will Dean instead of Nelson. I still think he could have a big future with us, but he needs a chance.
I love watching Dean and Kite together in midfield.

Squeezebox

I switched to the away commentary after the BBC chap got our players mixed up for the 5th time and mentioned that lot 40 mileish W of the the Fairer City of Exeter for the 2nd !
The O's commentators were better informed about the Grecians than our BBC chap and several times commented that we are the best footballing side in L2 they have seen so far. They loved our pressing and mentioned the number of our academy players in our side a lot.
Come on BBC SW - time to wear neutral colours !
Afram City
and continually calling SJP St Jameses Park (or it sounded like that!).

ECFC89

Interesting that many people, including myself, concluded that Parkes and Sweeney were our best centre backs. Today, and on Tuesday, McArdle and Hartridge have been decent, Hartridge in particular superb today. However, I cannot recall two teams who have refused to attack as much as Orient and Walsall have. When we face a couple of decent teams in our next few games we may be revisiting a few old opinions.

Thought we were excellent at closing down today, and on the few occasions Orient could spread the play we were very organised and shifted ourselves across the pitch well. A very satisfying performance.

Clearly Bowman makes a huge difference. There have been times this year when I've thought, if only we had a nimble, agile striker that could bag 25 a year, but ater the last couple of games and today, it is clear he is vital.

Collins also caught my attention today. Think a lot of City fans over hype him, but today it is clear how good he is, without being spectacular.

Hopefully City will kick in from here, but we've been here at least twice already this season where we think we will kick on, only for us to stagnate for a number of reasons.

Glad for Taylor, that the Taylor bashers can have a night off.

Grecian2K

Well, if you want to seen some nuclear-grade cheating (abetted by p*ss-poor reffing) take a gander at this! :eek:
(Relevant to ECFC I suggest because a) The Vegans are promotion rivals and b) Grimsby Les is a thoroughly bloody decent chap - and erstwhile Exeweb semi-regular)

ChardGrecian

Is it also true that we have offered Atangana another deal? I believe this would be a mistake. He's a liability.
If this is true it should be withdrawn immediately and the money used to keep Archie and other academy players.

Grecian2K

I switched to the away commentary after the BBC chap got our players mixed up for the 5th time and mentioned that lot 40 mileish W of the the Fairer City of Exeter for the 2nd !
The O's commentators were better informed about the Grecians than our BBC chap and several times commented that we are the best footballing side in L2 they have seen so far. They loved our pressing and mentioned the number of our academy players in our side a lot.
Come on BBC SW - time to wear neutral colours !
Afram City
Scummers 1-0 down. Wonder if the Cornish Broadcasting Corporation commentator has mentioned THAT yet?