• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

Legohead

Banned
Burton Albion. Arguably we are a bigger club than them and have a bigger fanbase, certainly when they were in L2. Whilst we have been faffing around with Tisdale and now Taylor, and operating under what seems like a very conservative approach to try and achieve success. An approach based on stability, gradual building of the club and developing it's young players. Burton Albion have been into the Championship and enjoyed a league cup semi final against Man City.

Now they are back down in L1 but it's still far more than we've achieved in the time we've been waiting for these long term managers to deliver the goods.

We can be too patient for promotion that might never arrive, or we can be impatient and demand urgency to get the promotion that still might never arrive. Either way, we'll be in L2 so nothing lost, nothing gained. Given the choice i'd take the second option as i believe being too patient hasn't yet achieved the desired outcome of promotion. So time to try something different.

Giving MT 4 seasons to get promoted and it not being delivered isn't progress.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Burton Albion. Arguably we are a bigger club than them and have a bigger fanbase, certainly when they were in L2. Whilst we have been faffing around with Tisdale and now Taylor, and operating under what seems like a very conservative approach to try and achieve success. An approach based on stability, gradual building of the club and developing it's young players. Burton Albion have been into the Championship and enjoyed a league cup semi final against Man City.

Now they are back down in L1 but it's still far more than we've achieved in the time we've been waiting for these long term managers to deliver the goods.

We can be too patient for promotion that might never arrive, or we can be impatient and demand urgency to get the promotion that still might never arrive. Either way, we'll be in L2 so nothing lost, nothing gained. Given the choice i'd take the second option as i believe being too patient hasn't yet achieved the desired outcome of promotion. So time to try something different.

Giving MT 4 seasons to get promoted and it not being delivered isn't progress.
Although Burton are funded in a different way, they have benefitted a lot from stability and consistency off and on the pitch. They have only had six different managers since 1998 with Nigel Clough doing two lengthy stints with good success and JFH now into his second spell and looking to turn them around again out of the relegation trouble they are in. Stable and consistent can work.

Oliver

The population of Burnley is 88,000 and Turf Moor has a ground capacity of 21,944, and they manage to survive in the Premiership.

The population of Exeter is 128,000 and St James park has a ground capacity of 8,696 and we manage to consistently stay in Division 2 !!!

We have the potential with our large catchment area of far greater things surely. Looking at the above a bigger ground capacity would
be a pretty good start which would/could support a much higher grade of football.
I watched my first city match 71 years ago and my dad made sure we got into the ground at least an hour before kick off so that I would
be able to see the match, and in those days of Third Division South we would always get at least 7,500 for a home game.

I do agree with Lego that this is a success business and not a long term career, and should be judged on progress, I have no idea if Matt
is using Tisdale as a yard stick for his own job stability.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have the potential with our large catchment area of far greater things surely. Looking at the above a bigger ground capacity would
be a pretty good start
Darlington. I rest my case.

Rosencrantz

The population of Burnley is 88,000 and Turf Moor has a ground capacity of 21,944, and they manage to survive in the Premiership.

The population of Exeter is 128,000 and St James park has a ground capacity of 8,696 and we manage to consistently stay in Division 2 !!!

be a pretty good start which would/could support a much higher grade of football.
I watched my first city match 71 years ago and my dad made sure we got into the ground at least an hour before kick off so that I would
be able to see the match, and in those days of Third Division South we would always get at least 7,500 for a home game.

I do agree with Lego that this is a success business and not a long term career, and should be judged on progress, I have no idea if Matt
is using Tisdale as a yard stick for his own job stability.
71 years ago Burnley were midtable in the old First Division averaging 28,000. They had a major blip during the eighties and into the nineties but otherwise have always been in the top two divisions. They were founders of the football league. History counts in these things. We need to build ours up not rediscover it like Burnley have done.

Having ambitions is fine, we all want to go as high as we sustainably can. But we need to build the crowd before we start building any new stadium.

Spoonz Red E

Taken from Burnley's wikipedia page.
"Progressive and golden era (1946–1976)
The club became one of the most progressive around under their tenures.
Burnley were one of the first to set up a purpose-built training centre (Gawthorpe), and they became renowned for their youth policy and scouting system, which yielded many young talents"

DB9

Taken from Burnley's wikipedia page.
"Progressive and golden era (1946–1976)
The club became one of the most progressive around under their tenures.
Burnley were one of the first to set up a purpose-built training centre (Gawthorpe), and they became renowned for their youth policy and scouting system, which yielded many young talents"
Sounds familiar, Little acorns and all that. Not saying we'd go that far up but the foundations need to be strong and ours are getting there.

Legohead

Banned
Although Burton are funded in a different way, they have benefitted a lot from stability and consistency off and on the pitch. They have only had six different managers since 1998 with Nigel Clough doing two lengthy stints with good success and JFH now into his second spell and looking to turn them around again out of the relegation trouble they are in. Stable and consistent can work.
Yes Burton have been funded by a long term owner, however it could be argued that their expenditure up to getting them at least into L1 wasn't anything far above and beyond what we have spent. I'd like to see some figures for this though. We have wasted money on the likes of Ajose and Fisher and on the flipside have made lots of money from selling players and also sell on clauses from the likes of Watkins which we have sat on to a certain extent.

So it's not like the money isn't there. It's generally not being spent on players and thus restricting the chances of success and the money that IS being spent is being wasted by managers poor additions to a certain extent.

The difference in funding means isn't necessarily the problem. It's the availability of funds and how the funds of those available are used.

As for Clough, Burton stuck with him because he got them umpteen promotions from the depths of non league to the Championship during his initial 11 year spell. Meanwhile we stuck with Tisdale for far longer and he only got one promotion! It looks like history is being repeated with Taylor and i don't want us to fall into that trap again. To be fair to Taylor we have been up there every season challenging but arguably that is the least we should be expecting IMO.

I like the way that we are a fair club and give managers and players more than a fair crack of the whip but i feel we also need to be more demanding and ruthless sometimes when it comes to what is judged as success. If Taylor got us into the play off final for the next 5 years but lost them all, would that be success?

He would then have been here for 8/9 years and achieved nothing tangible for the club from a footballing perspective. Yet some fans would be accepting of this. Which is their right to have that opinion of course.

Legohead

Banned
Darlington. I rest my case.
Tbf though, anyone who builds a 30,000 seater stadium for a club in the bottom tier who get about 3,000 crowds is a nutjob. As i'm sure Dale Vince will find out soon when their new stadium is built. OK, it's not going to be anything like 30,000 but he's under the impression that the Forest Green fanbase can be significantly grown, which i don't believe it can.

I like the ambition sure of going for it with a 30,000 seater stadium, but it was simply not viable. Therefore, i think using Darlo as an example to highlight this point wouldn't be fair SRJ.

Rosencrantz

Yes Burton have been funded by a long term owner, however it could be argued that their expenditure up to getting them at least into L1 wasn't anything far above and beyond what we have spent. I'd like to see some figures for this though. We have wasted money on the likes of Ajose and Fisher and on the flipside have made lots of money from selling players and also sell on clauses from the likes of Watkins which we have sat on to a certain extent.

So it's not like the money isn't there. It's generally not being spent on players and thus restricting the chances of success and the money that IS being spent is being wasted by managers poor additions to a certain extent.

The difference in funding means isn't necessarily the problem. It's the availability of funds and how the funds of those available are used.

As for Clough, Burton stuck with him because he got them umpteen promotions from the depths of non league to the Championship during his initial 11 year spell. Meanwhile we stuck with Tisdale for far longer and he only got one promotion! It looks like history is being repeated with Taylor and i don't want us to fall into that trap again. To be fair to Taylor we have been up there every season challenging but arguably that is the least we should be expecting IMO.

I like the way that we are a fair club and give managers and players more than a fair crack of the whip but i feel we also need to be more demanding and ruthless sometimes when it comes to what is judged as success. If Taylor got us into the play off final for the next 5 years but lost them all, would that be success?

He would then have been here for 8/9 years and achieved nothing tangible for the club from a footballing perspective. Yet some fans would be accepting of this. Which is their right to have that opinion of course.
You miss the point Lego, it's not a money thing although the investment they have had helped and hopefully the money we now have to invest will help as well. Burton are stable and consistent and have benefitted from that. In his first eleven year spell, Clough took four seasons for his first promotion from the SPL/NPL level and then seven seasons to get out of the conference (he actually left for Derby part way through the promotion season but the main work had been done). That is stability and consistency in action.

Six further attempts at L2 including two unsuccessful play off attempts in the two season before they finally got promoted. JFH finishing the good work Gary Rowett had laid down before he moved onwards and upwards (so not sacked). Then they bounced straight up after Clough took over from JFH in similar circumstances.

So all that success came from stability, consistency, minimal sackings but mainly good appointments.