• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter v Walsall discussion thread

Legohead

Banned
I need the science.

Has it been done before?
Did we lose the next game?

A solid answer means I may be able to bin my 'lucky' underpants.

:geek:
If it hasn't been done before then can i just say how honoured i am to have the privilege of being the initiator of exewebs first bonafide scientific experiment.

Does the posting of the next matchday discussion thread on the same day of a previous Grecians match negatively effect the result of the following match?

I suggest that many variables are at play here which have the capacity to influence the data. For example, if MT selects the same 11 as the previous match v Crawley (other than McArdle for Parkes), then it can be assumed that the following match will also end in abject misery and defeat.

If MT decides to play the best side available to him then this game should end up with a win. However, if MT still decides to play the best side available and we are level or losing with half an hour to go and he continues to delay key substitutions, then this also could have an affect on the outcome of the match.

Given the high probability of getting a sh*t ref in this league, this also could be a factor that leads to a negative result.

I'm now the Chris Whitty of Exeweb.

Next slide please.

But not like the one Jake Taylor did away at Bradford last season which earned him a red card. NO MORE RED CARDS!

Last edited:

Oliver

IMO we must start with our best available team, forget rotation, is it not better to make substitutions duing the match when we have a lead to preserve players energy ?

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Time to stop dicking about. We need 3 wins from these three games against the division's weaker teams

Key (Caprice) McArdle Hartridge Page (Sparkes)

Collins Taylor

Willmott Jay Seymour Randall

Legohead

Banned
IMO we must start with our best available team, forget rotation, is it not better to make substitutions duing the match when we have a lead to preserve players energy ?
I am 100% in this camp. It's like in FA Cup games where the big team is playing a team from much lower in the pyramid and they basically change the entire team from the 11 that started the previous league match. They then find themselves either drawing or losing with 20 minutes left and end up having to bring on the big hitters anyway to rescue the match. It's so disruptive to the team and by doing this, often some teams suffer a dip in form after a cup defeat where the manager has changed things too much.

I find it bizarre. On the majority of occasions the best starting 11 could be 2 or 3 goals up and then the big hitters can be taken off and subs be brought on the see the game out.

To give MT a bit of credit, despite what i just said, the game yesterday could potentially have worked out well for us IF the two rash decisions by Parkes and Caprice hadn't happened. Yes, we were absolutely dire but until Parkes went i thought there wasn't much chance we would lose that game and then MT could have brought on the likes of Randall etc later on and we could have nicked the win that way. As dire as it would have been. That gameplan could have worked to perfection if it wasn't for the red cards and we'd be talking about a gritty 3 points earned.

It's fine margins though but i don't believe in trying to be too clever with rotation and tactics etc, certainly at our level. Just keep it simple, play your best side and try to get some rhythm and consistency of performance.

IndoMike

Time to stop dicking about. We need 3 wins from these three games against the division's weaker teams

Collins Taylor

Looks ok to me {with hands over eyes when looking at the enforced central defence partnership)

andrew p long

Collins Taylor

Difficult to argue with that line up, (though I'd like a keeper too!)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anybody else thinking that without Bowman, Parkes and Sweeney we could be considered a little, er, soft ?

Ex-ciderrr

Got to win this one end of. I see the game being a tight affair vs Walsall however.

With Parkes banned and Sweeney potentially missing from the backline, that could be an area of concern for us. i strongly expect Key and Page will be restored to full back roles, nothing against Caprice (other than the pen v Crawley I’m sure he will be disappointed with) but it just seems one plays one week the other plays the other atm.

Joel is due a goal, 2 will do & I expect he will start too.

City 2-1 Walsall.

tonykellowfan

I like Hartridge he is a good prospect and does a lot of things right, especially when he has the ball at his feet.

However he seems to play with no passion at all, his face is expressionless and he doesn't seem to either communicate with or respond to any of his teammates. I noticed Parkes having a pop at him at one point and Hartridge didn't even blink. I've noticed this in other games too and seems to be quite common in all the academy players. I think we could do with a bit more passion on the pitch tbh.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Feeling gloomy about our chances. The steel has gone out of the side with the missing players and I can't see us being competitive enough to get anything out of the fixture.

On the upside, I'm never right.