• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Incidentally, I do not agree at all, that managing Exeter City is the safest job in football. It is just a different type of management job that brings its own challenges.
Name a safer job in management in professional football?

milts

Incidentally, I do not agree at all, that managing Exeter City is the safest job in football. It is just a different type of management job that brings its own challenges.
I’m sure Tisdale once thought that aswell....

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Name a safer job in management in professional football?
Maybe we just make better appointments 😉

Alistair20000

I regret that KMT sounded rather like the Cheese in those post match comments. Bizarre stuff.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m sure Tisdale once thought that aswell....
He had the opportunity to stay on didn’t he?

milts

He had the opportunity to stay on didn’t he?
Exactly, I was meaning Tisdale was as safe as houses here but never appreciated that. We were holding him back when he could have gone on to much bigger and better things. Be careful what you wish for remember.....

Not worked out so well for him since.

ExmouthMart

Managing Exeter City is the safest job in football because there is no pressure or fear of failure. Taylor bleating about tiredness, two games a week, travelling etc. is just a lame excuse. Why is Seymour tired?! He should be buzzing, he’s wearing the number 9 shirt and just scored his first League goal..... I didn’t see the game today and after reading the comments about Fisher why are people saying he didn’t look interested?! Surely with Bowman out it was an opportunity for him to show what he can do. Maybe he’s been told already he’s going, like Ward.
For me too much chopping and changing just creates problems. Pick the best team and then shuffle them around if there are injuries etc. We should be stepping up now and pushing on if we are serious about making an impression in this League but on the other hand if we get to the playoff final and get stuffed out of sight, what will happen?! Nothing. No pressure.

IndoMike

Overall, and despite my criticism of Matt Taylor yesterday, I think Matt has done better than most would have during the last 3 seasons. To be consistently in the top 8 and brushing very close to promotion twice I don't think can be classed as a failure.
His weaknesses have been pretty clear
1. Signing players who if fit would be too good for Div 2, but they aren't fit: they're carrying serious or at least constant niggling injuries. Forte, Ajose, Stubbs, Page spring to mind. Costly and not effective.
2. Signing players who are destined for the bench and are not really up to the mark for a first team wishing for promotion. Warren, McA, Fisher, for example
3. Reacting too slowly to what is happening on the field and making substitutions too late
4. Not being able to identify young, fit strikers, at least on loan.

But, no matter, the end result has been 7.5/10, which does not deserve a sacking.
Some might groan if I say give him one more year to get us promoted, but the club must back him to sign a really good goal-scorer and not plead poverty.
Finally, it's not just about what the fans want. Matt has his own views and ambitions : who knows if another club will come in for him offering him three times the salary.

Banksy

Exactly, I was meaning Tisdale was as safe as houses here but never appreciated that. We were holding him back when he could have gone on to much bigger and better things. Be careful what you wish for remember.....

Not worked out so well for him since.
But the payoffs he must be getting must be keeping him going.What a life eh? Paid whether you achieve or not and it gets better as you go up the pyramid.

dommers

Be careful what you wish for remember.....
I know, everyone thought we'd get a better manager