• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
My initial point was playing youth, so no :D
The initial title of this thread is now six months (or 25%) out of date too, so shirley it is a "movable feast" anyway ! 😁

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dommers has had his best day for an absolute age today.

Grecian Max

Hahaha party like its 2009

milts

Very poor from Matt today. As soon as I saw the line up I thought we were in for a struggle and that proved correct. Why drop Randall, Key and Page after Tuesday? Surely they are not tired? We have barely played recently with some many games being called off.

Anyone able to explain the first half tactics, other than hoof aimlessly towards Fisher?

The subs were even more abject and defensive than the line up. Two strikers off for Nigel and McArdle? We're playing Crawley ffs.

No urgency to change things even after they scored. We were happy to lose the game 1.0. He left it until 10 minutes to make an attacking change. Far too little too late.

Very questionable decisions today. Felt like we were back in the Tisdale era, trying to work out what the plan was.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very poor from Matt today. As soon as I saw the line up I thought we were in for a struggle and that proved correct. Why drop Randall, Key and Page after Tuesday? Surely they are not tired? We have barely played recently with some many games being called off.

Anyone able to explain the first half tactics, other than hoof aimlessly towards Fisher?

The subs were even more abject and defensive than the line up. Two strikers off for Nigel and McArdle? We're playing Crawley ffs.

No urgency to change things even after they scored. We were happy to lose the game 1.0. He left it until 10 minutes to make an attacking change. Far too little too late.

Very questionable decisions today. Felt like we were back in the Tisdale era, trying to work out what the plan was.
Agree 100% with everything you have said particularly with regards to the substitutions and why leave Fisher on when he was just ambling around and offering no attacking threat or defensive cover whatsoever.

rifraf

Agree 100% with everything you have said particularly with regards to the substitutions and why leave Fisher on when he was just ambling around and offering no attacking threat or defensive cover whatsoever.
Came on here to find 2 others beat me to it. Although we don't always see the real picture, from the outside looking in that was a mind-boggling starting XI - exacerbated by the fact that why Fisher wasn't subbed after 15 or so minutes for ........ well, where do I start?

Pitty, Crawley were overall not that good and 3pts were up for grabs by a balanced promotion-chasing team. Lucky for Crawley, they were not playing one today thanks a lot to set-up. Never mind, we live and learn. Onwards.

On the plus side, there is always a siver lining. I'm hoping today's performance by some players has made MT's weeding-out at the end of the season that much more easier for him........

Topsham Boy

Came on here to find 2 others beat me to it. Although we don't always see the real picture, from the outside looking in that was a mind-boggling starting XI - exacerbated by the fact that why Fisher wasn't subbed after 15 or so minutes for ........ well, where do I start?

Pitty, Crawley were overall not that good and 3pts were up for grabs by a balanced promotion-chasing team. Lucky for Crawley, they were not playing one today thanks a lot to set-up. Never mind, we live and learn. Onwards.

On the plus side, there is always a siver lining. I'm hoping today's performance by some players has made MT's weeding-out at the end of the season that much more easier for him........
But do we live and learn? Or go round in frustrating circles?

Red Devon

That was carp in every aspect today MT...two home games coming up within FOUR days of each other, no need to rotate unless they’re injuries and Bowman will be back Saturday, we need six points so pick our strongest available team for both.

Legohead

Banned
Do we have an explanation from MT regarding why he went with the 11 that he did? My views are known, i don't think he's a manager who learns from mistakes and the decision making around subs often are baffling and ideally he should leave at the end of the season if we don't at least get to the play off final. Play off final for me is the minimum i would accept.

If we got there and gave it a real good go, not capitulate like last time but lost, then perhaps another season at the helm would be as fair as i would go with MT.

I just don't want managers to think that when they manage Exeter, they know they are in probably the securest job in the league, can produce mediocrity safe in the knowledge that we aren't ruthless enough to give them the bullet. On the flipside, I also don't want us to be a club who sacks managers willy nilly either but it's a business ultimately. Four years in charge of a club with one of, if not THE best academy in the league and having the stability to build should be enough time to be able to get out of a league that includes some real dross.

I accept many disagree and that's fine. I suppose frustration also plays a part and the fact that we've been so close to getting out of this league for many years now and it's not happened perhaps makes some more impatient and expectant than would normally be the case. However, with the players we've had during MT's tenure and the security of the job that MT enjoys, i do think that 4 seasons is enough to be able to get us out of this league.

MT didn't come across well today from what i've seen and did make some surprising comments.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that his interview did not come across well today. That said, there was nothing in his analysis of the game that I can take issue with. I don't agree with the subs that he made, or with the team he selected, but that is life. He possibly made a mistake today, but it is hard for us fans to judge this as we dont have all the information with which to set the context.

Incidentally, I do not agree at all, that managing Exeter City is the safest job in football. It is just a different type of management job that brings its own challenges.