• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Archie Collins

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Multiple people on the 21 pages, including yourself?

“If I where Collins I'd be looking at aspiring to someone like Grimes”

What is that it if it’s not a comparison?
Actually saying someone should aspire to be something is not comparing him to that something.
Small point.

Rosencrantz

Quite like the idea of a midfield of Collins Collins Collins
You might have to wait for that seeing as one of them (Zeph) seems to be a defender. Square pegs in round holes again 😉.

STURTZ

Collins works very hard for his success whereas Grimesinho was a natural from the very start, effortless.Actually think Grimes showed more ability when being drafted into the side than Ampadu did.

Last edited:

Trapdoor

He's getting really good these days. Some wonderful creative play, the odd wonder goal. The only thing he needs to work on is his defensive and tackling skills in my opinion. Everything else in his locker is fantastic.

Oliver

He's getting really good these days. Some wonderful creative play, the odd wonder goal. The only thing he needs to work on is his defensive and tackling skills in my opinion. Everything else in his locker is fantastic.
I wish this were true !! I am of the opinion that Archie should have been dropped from an automatic 'pen in' start quite a long time ago.

He has got into a habit of getting rid of the ball as quickly as he can and passing either sideways or backwards creating nothing for the
players in front of him.....this could of course be due to the players in front of him not making enough movement off the ball.

We lack total creativity in our midfield, since Nicky Law left we seem completely devoid of creating any meaningful chances, Nicky also
popped up with the odd goal or two and has left a large creative gap.

A lot of work for Matt to do in the close season, and for us to judge just what sort of manager he really has become.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nicky Law was the only central midfielder we had with the ability to unlock opposing back lines on a relatively regular basis.

His performance at Gillingham in the FA cup confirmed he still had a lot to offer, he ran the show.

His stats this season were also decent, he was involved in 8 goals (either scoring or assisting) in only 21 games and many of those were off the bench.

Also having him on the bench probably added pressure to those starting as they knew there was a quality player waiting to come on and take their place.

We miss him big time as we just don't have any genuine quality in the middle of the pitch. Jake Taylor is decent at what he does however he isn't a ball player and Collins is decent however that is all, he isn't the player many seem to want to make him out to be. Will Dean is probably our best ball playing midfielder however he doesn't get a look in which I find staggering.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Archie is already Championship level.
:ROFLMAO:

Banksy

Begs the question why , having presumably decided to let Law go months before , we were not prepared for the gap it would make in our midfield resources. Someone creative to replace him and a lively player up front should have been our January priorities . As it was , all we ended up with was a defender that won’t play until next season and a keeper swap.Was this a Taylor mistake or a Board decision?
Guess we’ll never know.

IndoMike

Begs the question why , having presumably decided to let Law go months before , we were not prepared for the gap it would make in our midfield resources. Someone creative to replace him and a lively player up front should have been our January priorities . As it was , all we ended up with was a defender that won’t play until next season and a keeper swap.Was this a Taylor mistake or a Board decision?
Guess we’ll never know.
I think this was a "we'll just make do" season that turned into something better through the efforts of Key and Randall, and the surprising goal feats of MJ, but then ran out of steam with nothing in reserve

Legohead

Banned
Archie is basically a League 2 version of David Batty. Doesn't like passing the ball forwards.