• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager Thread..Appointments & Dismissals

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Michael Jolley gone from Barrow
Tis the season to be jolly as Boris said but not for Mr Jolley; unless he is getting a big pay off, which I doubt.

sign of the chimes

Sounds like Barton to Bristol Rovers is pretty much a done deal now. Tisdale -> Barton seems like a quite extreme example of managerial appointments often swinging from one extreme to another. On this basis I assume we'll be replacing the mild-mannered Kenny Jackett with Steve Evans in the summer.

On the plus side for Rovers - if Barton's pending court case for assaulting then Barnsley manager Daniel Stendel when he was in charge at Fleetwood does result in a custodial sentence - the evolution of working practices during the pandemic could make it possible for him to work from home for six months or so at the start of next season.

Also Nigel Pearson about to sign a contract at Ashton Gate on a 'try-before-you-buy' deal till the end of the season. Bit of a departure for them - based on their model I'd expected them to go for Michael Appleton from Lincoln; though perhaps that remains on the table once the season is done.

sign of the chimes

Jonathan Woodgate gets the Bournemouth job until the end of the season.
Genuinely surprised by this one. Woodgate supposedly only got the job at Middlesbrough on the basis that he was relatively cheap and the chairman liked him. I read somewhere that as a player his nickname was 'village' due to his general lack of smarts. Given that they are in the mix for the play-offs at least it's a massive shout that they aren't at least looking to get an impact appointment in for the last three months of the season. They'll look very smart if it comes off for them, I guess...

Legohead

Banned
I'm also surprised about the Woodgate situation. Every time i hear him i try not to fall asleep. He comes across as such a morose, uninspiring personality. He may be a tactical genius but motivation wise, he must struggle getting players up for it, surely?

sign of the chimes

I'm also surprised about the Woodgate situation. Every time i hear him i try not to fall asleep. He comes across as such a morose, uninspiring personality. He may be a tactical genius but motivation wise, he must struggle getting players up for it, surely?
He's steadied the ship at Bournemouth (prior to Saturday), but the below suggests 'tactical genius' is unlikely.

To be fair to him he was appointed at Middlesbrough at a point where they were cutting back - and given the number of draws the win percentage isn't quite as desperate as it might look; but three days ago they were 'nailed on' to land a big name. There's lots of interesting stuff going on in the Championship at the moment - the pandemic had already shaken things up and exposed a number of the bigger clubs who were being badly run. Whilst the effects of Covid will have an impact across the leagues I do think the Championship will see the most dramatic fallout. It used to be the Premier Leauge that was the basket case; but in the last decade it is the Championship that is where the biggest problems are - lots of clubs built on sand and the stakes are insane.

Rosencrantz

I would think Woodgate at Bournemouth is more down to them not being able to appoint who they want at this time.

sign of the chimes

I would think Woodgate at Bournemouth is more down to them not being able to appoint who they want at this time.
In isolation it sort of makes sense, given their seemingly public pursuit of Henry; but given the sacking of Tindall seemed to be on the basis of promotion vs. not promotion (I think they were in the final play-off position at the time despite a relatively short poor run), it seems a bit weird for a board to replace a rookie manager awarded a three-year contract, who wasn't doing that badly, with someone with one previous job and a win rate of just over 1 in 5. I can't see how Woodate represents an upgrade?

IndoMike

Tis the season to be jolly as Boris said but not for Mr Jolley; unless he is getting a big pay off, which I doubt.
He'll get a barrow-load

Red Devon

Nigel Pearson installed at Ashton Gate.

Spoonz Red E

Nigel Pearson installed at Ashton Gate.
Makes a change from the normal turnstile.