• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barrow v Exeter Matchday Thread (take 2) - GAME OFF

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep - I remember playing a five a side game years ago on one and it was like a sheet of ice. I think it actually improved my own performance at left back, as the ice forced me to slip off the pitch, more often than not :)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The referee on the postponement

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster

Could have kicked off at 1600 then and played first one to score !
At least, unlike other refs, he had the spherical objects to speak in public.
Afram City

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Despite the disappointment of the match being called off,it wasn't a bad night for City in terms of the other matches.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could have kicked off at 1600 then and played first one to score !
At least, unlike other refs, he had the spherical objects to speak in public.
Afram City
Yep. A decent, honest explanation there by the ref. And, as he pointed out, the decision was made after full consultation with BOTH managers.

Certainly no complaints from KMT about the decision
(Although, possibly one from "Taggy" about tonight's food bill :ROFLMAO: )
Just imagine the uproar on here if Randall/Sparkes and/or Wilmott had suffered a season-limiting injury on that "tricky part of the pitch" out on the wing. The poor old ref would have been hung out to dry for NOT cancelling it.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

"we had a little concern that the temperatures that were due to come were 0 or minus !'
That's some understatement from the ref.

The one suggestion that I haven't seen made was whether it might have been possible at some point in the last few days to have made the decision to switch the game to the Park and then City could have made the trip to Barrow in May instead.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
To add insult to injury the Scum Gargs are one up at Accrington :mad:
Impressive that they managed to get the game on Accrington.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The temperature in Barrow is currently 2 - 3 degrees, game could have been played today.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's recently been pretty windy and that's certainly helped my claypit of a garden dry out. I wonder if having covers on helps retain moisture and then when they're removed means the pitch is more likely to freeze?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Craig, the media chap, was interviewed on R5 last night and said he'd left home at 6.30am yesterday (he said he lives in Cornwall). He also said that the team were staying in Lancaster so they would have had a small head start for the journey home this morning.