• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nissan commits further to swashbuckling global Britain. 👍

DB9

Has to be good news, Nearly 40 years in the NE now, First building the Bluebird. Now a "Local Company" Well done to all involved for keeping it a success story 👍👍

tavyred

Someone tell the EU commission that the U.K. is a rules based Union. 😄

DB9

Record amounts of borrowing in December, I do fear for future generations who'll have to foot the bill.

tavyred

Record amounts of borrowing in December, I do fear for future generations who'll have to foot the bill.
Yep.
Highest debt to gdp ratio since 1962.
As a country we’ve been here before. 🤷‍♂️

elginCity

:ROFLMAO:. For now.

Nissan's sunk costs in the NE and with the threat of 10% tariff lifted, makes sense for them to sit tight for the 'near-term' as the SMMT guy pointed out. In the meantime the swashbucklers will need to crack on with battery production....

Hidden away in that BBC article the comment from the Vauxhall chap was more telling.....

"If you change, brutally, the rules and if you restrict the rules for business then there is at one point in time a problem," he said.
Looking forward, he said it would make more sense to locate an electric vehicle factory closer to the larger EU market.

Still, good news nonetheless, enjoy it while you can, Tavares !

Alistair20000

Yep.
Highest debt to gdp ratio since 1962.
As a country we’ve been here before. 🤷‍♂️
Bad places are best not revisited Tavy

tavyred

:ROFLMAO:. For now.

Nissan's sunk costs in the NE and with the threat of 10% tariff lifted, makes sense for them to sit tight for the 'near-term' as the SMMT guy pointed out. In the meantime the swashbucklers will need to crack on with battery production....

Hidden away in that BBC article the comment from the Vauxhall chap was more telling.....

"If you change, brutally, the rules and if you restrict the rules for business then there is at one point in time a problem," he said.
Looking forward, he said it would make more sense to locate an electric vehicle factory closer to the larger EU market.

Still, good news nonetheless, enjoy it while you can, Tavares !

I’m no expert in the car industry, but even I can see that PSA won’t be keeping their now tiny (comparatively speaking) car building presence in the U.K. for much longer and I don’t think Brexit will have had much of bearing on the decision when it’s made. It does beggar the question though how a brand like Vauxhall which dines out on being a ‘British Brand’ will keep its not inconsiderable market share in the U.K if none of their cars have any link with the U.K, aren’t Vauxhalls just rebadged Peugeot’s anyway now?
From my reckoning the only thing you ‘project fear’ peddlers have left is the ‘death of a thousand cuts’ scenario which I take to mean a longer term clear and obvious decline in the British economy owing to being outside the EU?
You willing at this stage Elgy to admit that all the short to medium term predictions of doom were indeed a tad over exaggerated? 😀

Mr Jinx

We are living in a huge la la land bubble at the moment.

Once furlough and government help packages end and business failure and job losses mount up the housing market will level off or fall and the over valued stock market will have it’s customary “correction”

The sh*te storm has yet to hit us.
I'm not so sure Al. That was definitely my thinking around August time, but I now think we'll ride this one out OK (if restrictions get lifted fully at some point before July this year that is).

Once restrictions do get lifted fully and the 'All Clear' is given, there is going to be a wave of demand and consumerism seen like never before. The job market will flourish again.

There'll be a huge wodge of debt to pay back, but I have a good feeling about this country, its potential and future post Brexit (UK financial markets & pound already doing v well). We should be fine.

tavyred

Bad places are best not revisited Tavy
No, but just saying things move on and usually get better.
Japan’s debt to gdp ratio (pre covid) is 223% BTW, our is now 99.4%.