• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
IMHO we need to move away from thinking the only way to fund the NHS is through general taxation. This does not by default mean I think we should have the American system where you have to remortgage to get a blood test.
Would be interested to know what you envisage. Are you saying that anything within the NHS that can be privatised should be, but the Govt retains overall control? Or that the whole institution should be privatised from top to bottom?

DB9

Would be interested to know what you envisage. Are you saying that anything within the NHS that can be privatised should be, but the Govt retains overall control? Or that the whole institution should be privatised from top to bottom?
A lot of the NHS has been tendered out, Laundry services, Catering, Estates maintenance, Cleaning etc, There is not a lot else to privatise other than the clinical/treatment side of things.

Rosencrantz

A lot of the NHS has been tendered out, Laundry services, Catering, Estates maintenance, Cleaning etc, There is not a lot else to privatise other than the clinical/treatment side of things.
Some of that has been contracted out as well. Certainly audiology anyway.

IndoMike

Yes, I get that, DB. I was thinking more about the latter plus the pharmaceutical side. Hopefully Red will reply later to share his thoughts.

DB9

Yes, I get that, DB. I was thinking more about the latter plus the pharmaceutical side. Hopefully Red will reply later to share his thoughts.
I was probably more talking to Red, Just saying a lot has been outsourced in the NHS. I quoted you by mistake, Sorry Mike 👍

DB9

Theresa May, God she was awful!
Ask her how 2017 went. 😀 She wasn't good, She led a Parliament that was out of touch with the public and her own party never had faith in her.

IndoMike

I was probably more talking to Red, Just saying a lot has been outsourced in the NHS. I quoted you by mistake, Sorry Mike 👍
Your opinion is valid too, DB. But Red said that he thought the NHS didn't need to be fully State funded, so I thought maybe he had a specific idea, assuming he realises that parts of the NHS are already outsourced. I guess I'm thinking about the rumours months ago that maybe the Govt might hand over the NHS to private industry lock, stock and barrel. The Govt of course denied it but it's difficult to know if they're telling porkies or not based on their previous record.
And, would the NHS (or whatever its new name would be) really be better if it were in private hands?

DB9

Your opinion is valid too, DB. But Red said that he thought the NHS didn't need to be fully State funded, so I thought maybe he had a specific idea, assuming he realises that parts of the NHS are already outsourced. I guess I'm thinking about the rumours months ago that maybe the Govt might hand over the NHS to private industry lock, stock and barrel. The Govt of course denied it but it's difficult to know if they're telling porkies or not based on their previous record.
And, would the NHS (or whatever its new name would be) really be better if it were in private hands?
I honestly think that would be political suicide, Especially post covid, Handing it over to the highest bidder and let private business run it when they wouldn't touch certain people because of their condition would not be acceptable to the British public.

Mr Jinx

Ask her how 2017 went. 😀 She wasn't good, She led a Parliament that was out of touch with the public and her own party never had faith in her.
Things would have been very different had she not done so badly at the General Election 2017.

She did have the guts to call one, I'll give her that...but then everything then went and turned to dung.

IndoMike

I honestly think that would be political suicide, Especially post covid, Handing it over to the highest bidder and let private business run it when they wouldn't touch certain people because of their condition would not be acceptable to the British public.
You'd think it would be political suicide, but you wonder what's on the Tories' minds when they stripped out that clause added by the Lords.