• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

Legohead

Banned
When you wait anxiously for over a week for some blood tests and then you get a letter saying that the hospital has lost the blood and my bloods need retaking. But i can't have them taken until the beginning of Feb. Talk about a circus. Third time this has happened to me unfortunately.

Legohead

Banned
Frequent spelling mistakes from so called journalists. Like this one here from my old town. It's basic stuff. Should be reprimanded. Or in this case 'wrapped'. :LOL:

It was the disabled badge story. They've changed the spelling now from 'wrapped' to rapped.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watching Australia v India they have on their ticker (Channel 9 I guess) that Australia leads by 140 runs rather than Australia lead...

Is that just an Australian thing?
I'll probably get hate mail for replying to this.
"Australia" in the context of a team is a collective noun. Collective nouns can require singular or plural verbs.
If the collective group is participating in its primary function then the verb is singular.
If they are acting as individuals "doing their own thing" then the verb is plural.
So:
"The team is playing badly"
"The team are all away on holiday"

I

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Australia" in the context of a team is a collective noun. Collective nouns can require singular or plural verbs.
If the collective group is participating in its primary function then the verb is singular.
If they are acting as individuals "doing their own thing" then the verb is plural.
So:

I
The team shouldn't be on feckin holiday. Don't they know about the pandemic ?

Must be an Australian thing.

Alistair20000

When you wait anxiously for over a week for some blood tests and then you get a letter saying that the hospital has lost the blood and my bloods need retaking. But i can't have them taken until the beginning of Feb. Talk about a circus. Third time this has happened to me unfortunately.
That is shocking news Lego.

This is what happens when everything is run by computers. If a semi competent human being had been involved you should have received an immediate phone call apologising for the mess up and offering you the earliest appointment convenient to you.

Alistair20000

So:
Did we once have a thread called Pedant’s Corner or summat similar ?

IndoMike

Bi
But Ali, he did ask for an explanation, so Professor IndoMike provided it. I assume you are on a Tedburnian- style wind up.
Please stick to haymaking...

IndoMike

Th
The team shouldn't be on feckin holiday. Don't they know about the pandemic ?

Must be an Australian thing.
The Aussie cricket team certainly played like their minds were on the beach yesterday

iscalad

Withered away when ******** left.

Alistair20000

But Ali, he did ask for an explanation, so Professor IndoMike provided it. I assume you are on a Tedburnian- style wind up.
Please stick to haymaking...

Wrong time of year for haymaking in Debbon matey :)

Yes he did ask and I found your contribution most illuminating.