• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is this the most entertaining team we've seen?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I saw us lose 7 times away from home that season when I was living in Sheffield. Never saw us win once. However, all the games were entertaining (I seem to remember a 5-4 defeat at Scunthorpe and maybe a 4-3 at Peterborough), and that team was really something to watch, with the overlapping Hiley and Vinnicombe like modern day wing backs (in the style of their manager Terry Cooper who was a bit of a ball player as a left back).
Wasn't it Pele no less who described Terry Cooper as the best full-back he ever played against? It was either Coops or Craig Woodman! ;-)

Reactions: IBA

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't it Pele no less who described Terry Cooper as the best full-back he ever played against? It was either Coops or Craig Woodman! ;-)
If it was Woody he was also likened to Franz Beckenbauer. Some CV. ;)

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
When I lived in Brazil they used to replay World Cup matches from the 1970s in their entirety quite often and the England game they won 1-0 (with the famous Banks save) was a favourite. Watching it I was astonished at how much football the national team played on the floor with weighted passes, Cooper and Ball in particular were players I never associated with that. We abandoned that stuff pretty quickly in the later 70s and 80s when aerial balls and headers became the normal route to goal for England. Pele has described a lot of English players in very complimentary terms, I think he liked the individuals in that team.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
For me, it is... by a mile. First game 1995.
I was only 9 but still remember the 1989/90 season under Terry Cooper. Best side I can remember, with Rowbotham and Steve Neville leading the line. McDermott and Clive Whitehead on the wings, Danny Bailey in his prime, Scott Hiley at RB and Shaun Taylor and Richard Dryden commanding the back four with Big Kev Miller in goal. What a team!!

Tis's team that finished 8th in League one was also a good side to watch as well.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was only 9 but still remember the 1989/90 season under Terry Cooper. Best side I can remember, with Rowbotham and Steve Neville leading the line. McDermott and Clive Whitehead on the wings, Danny Bailey in his prime, Scott Hiley at RB and Shaun Taylor and Richard Dryden commanding the back four with Big Kev Miller in goal. What a team!!

Tis's team that finished 8th in League one was also a good side to watch as well.
**Pedants hat on** It was Jim McNichol commanding the back four with Shaun Taylor in 89/90 with Lee Rogers filling in when needed. Richard Dryden was actually a left winger that season when fit. He missed a good chunk of the middle of the season. Dryden was moved back to left back towards the end of the season (among others) after Angus McPherson got injured and stuck there the following season until moving to centre back.

**Puts pedants hat back on shelf** 😉

STURTZ

When I lived in Brazil they used to replay World Cup matches from the 1970s in their entirety quite often and the England game they won 1-0 (with the famous Banks save) was a favourite. Watching it I was astonished at how much football the national team played on the floor with weighted passes, Cooper and Ball in particular were players I never associated with that. We abandoned that stuff pretty quickly in the later 70s and 80s when aerial balls and headers became the normal route to goal for England. Pele has described a lot of English players in very complimentary terms, I think he liked the individuals in that team.
Do remember him sayiing that George Best was the England player he most admired though!

Grecian2K

**Borrows pedants hat from Rosey.
IIRC correctly Farmer Dave Walter was first choice keeper for most of the first half of the season. It was only after his debacle against Sunderland that Big Kev got his chance.
**Hands back pedants hat**

Rosencrantz

**Borrows pedants hat from Rosey.
IIRC correctly Farmer Dave Walter was first choice keeper for most of the first half of the season. It was only after his debacle against Sunderland that Big Kev got his chance.
**Hands back pedants hat**
Don't really think the Sunderland game was the reason but he did drop a clanger against Chesterfield (I think) when he dropped a straight forward ball straight to the opposing striker. I think TC was probably just waiting for an excuse to make the switch because Kev was a much better keeper although Farmer Dave was decent.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
**Pedants hat on** It was Jim McNichol commanding the back four with Shaun Taylor in 89/90 with Lee Rogers filling in when needed. Richard Dryden was actually a left winger that season when fit. He missed a good chunk of the middle of the season. Dryden was moved back to left back towards the end of the season (among others) after Angus McPherson got injured and stuck there the following season until moving to centre back.

**Puts pedants hat back on shelf** 😉
Like I said I was 9 so could be wrong on a couple. ;)

dontpassback

The 89/90 team under terry cooper were super confident and always looked like scoring goalas,looking back we had some quality players and it was a joy to watch,I think Tina turner singing Simply the best was always played at home games and it was certainly that !